6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 12:06 PM by Kevin De Smet

how to read ures scale in simx

Scott Cole

in show displacement, the scale is called ures, the graph is from 1.00E-030 TO 2.214E+0002. WHAT IS THIS TELLING ME?  i asume the E means exponent. thats all i know about this part of the results.

• Re: how to read ures scale in simx
          Chris Michalski

this was addressed in another post (somewhere, I'm not sure where so I'll answer instead of taking time to forward that link)

U is the vector representing the displacement from the original location and RES is the resultant or length of that vector.  So the value is the absolute length of displacement of each node.

The E represents scientific notation (10^) so 1E-30 = 0.000 (30 zeros total) followed by a 1 and 2.241E+2 = 224.1

Anthony Botting

Hi Scott: I'm a little bit late but here's a link to a 1.5 minute video explanation of URES calculation components at GoEngineer's Channel. We are adding simulation videos at an average of one per week. I hope it helps, even if just a little:

Kevin De Smet

I'm enjoying those series, it's enjoyable to see them really delve into the meat of things! It's not exactly "The Sketcher 101".

As for the question, if you don't like scientific notation (i don't really unless values are either really large or really small) you can go and activate your Displacement Plot and double-click the colour legend on your screen, under Position/Format you can see Scientific and choose another option, increase or decrease your decimals if you want right underneath there.

You may want to change your units too depending on the results, that's on a different screen, double-click on your Displacement Plot in your tree and set your units to a more meaningful one that won't make the results 0.0000001 nor 100000.