10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 4:41 PM by Matt Lombard

Help with complex radius

Shawn Applegate

I have 3 sufaces.  I want a radius to connect two surfaces (such as "Face fillet").  However, I also want the radius to touch a third surface tangent.

Attached is a dumbed down picture of what I would like to do.  I know I can do something such as a loft or sweep to accomplish with several sketches in the example shown.  However, the complex model I want to do it on has all 3 surfaces varying in angle, length, curvature, etc.  I can't really control it with sketches.

Is there a feature that accomplishes what I'm trying to do?

• Re: Help with complex radius
          Jason Corl

Can you upload your file

Mike Price

You can put a full face fillet on three surfaces like that, but you'll need to trim them up first I believe.

If you can't trim those surfaces, you could always create a zero offset off of them, then trim those and then create your full face fillet.

Doug Seibel

Looks like you are wanting to do a "full round" fillet.  But I don't think it will give you what you want in it's current state...see this thread:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/44982

When the surfaces are not all square/parallel to each other, the "full round" can get a bit funky...and more "rounded" as opposed to "round".

Shawn Applegate

This is hard as hell to explain...

I'm  splitting this part into two injection molded parts.  The black  surfaces (in the attached model) represent one part that will snap into  the grey part.

The  problem is in this model they join at a sharp, and in the injection  molded parts they will join as seperate radii.  See the picture below...  I tried my best to explain it...

Charles Culp

Yeah, it does sound hard to explain, because you did a good job of uploading a very clean and easy to understand model (thank you), but I still don't get your directions.

Let me answer your original post: I would look into Fill with the Constraint Curve tool.

After looking at your uploaded image with directions, I don't see how that post matches with your original question.

So you have a sharp corner now. You want to turn this into a radius on the gray part, that mates up with the black part. And you want this edge of the face that defines this radius to be the split between the two parts? To do this the best option is to define that line explicitly, then use the face fillet with the "hold line" option (down below). This will make the fillet match directly up to that line (which should be a split line in the model).

Matt Lombard

I see what you're trying to say. The three surfaces in the first image you are using to represent the "before" on the orange part in the sketch. You don't want to eat away too much of that corner. The only way to get that is going to be to make the fillet very small. I would use the Full Radius Fillet regardless of its bugs. It will be small enough to not matter. Especially on that curving edge, trying to do this another way is going to be painful, time consuming, and probably won't wind up as good as the Full Rad Fillet with bugs anyway.

Or potentially you could use a face fillet with a hold line to do it with more than one fillet feature. A reveal with two diving fillets is possibly less than desireable. Maybe a triangular reveal on the gray part with fillets going into it. I would try to work in a reveal between the parts and then maybe fillet into the reveal.

Shawn Applegate

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a reveal?

Matt Lombard

Sorry, I hang out with industrial designers too much. A "reveal" is a groove or offset that intentionally mismatches the intersection between two plastic parts. One way to hide a joint between plastic parts is to make it perfect. The other is to emphasize it. If you look at your cell phone, where the halves of the part come together, there is probably some sort of groove. That's a reveal.

Shawn Applegate

Ah yes.  I'm new to the ID scene.  The model that this is a part of is only about 400 features, but it took me the better part of 3 weeks to create/design.

Anyways, we do reveals at most of our transitions.  However, this particular one will not look right with one, which is why this is such a challenge.  I've made some progress on this today.  I do think I may have not done it the most proper nor the easiest way; however this isn't the production die so it's not a huge deal.  I'll try to upload a model tomorrow for critiquing

Matt Lombard

The full round will work as long as there is no draft.