4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 3:21 PM by Jody Wilkerson

Torsional Spring

Jody Wilkerson

Hi Pros,

I am trying to figure out how to simulate a torsional spring to simulate a torsion spring axle.  In reality, a square shaft is sandwiched in a square tube with ruber in the corners of the tube.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to simulate this?  I have seen in the help files, that a torsional spring can connect two verticies.  How can you connect it to the center of a square, or round, shaft?

I am using Simulation 2011 Premium.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jody

• Re: Torsional Spring
          David Anderson

to do this accurately requires a nonlinear solution using  contact elements at the interface of the rubber and axle for the contact area will change w/deflection. furthermore you will need the nonlinear material properties of the rubber as its stiffness changes w/deflection,  which is geometry dependent. a simple analysis becomes complicated by the nonlinear behavior of the rubber.

once possible solution is you could test a single piece of rubber of the proper geometry and of the same load condition and collect stiffness data versus deflection. then, you could replace the rubber element inf your FEA model w/a nonlinear spring element having the same stiffness as the rubber. this would eliminate the need for contact elements and drastically simplifiy the problem.