10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 2:30 PM by Doug Seibel

Basic Sketching Troubles

Charlie Broon

Hello All,

New to solidworks and looking forward to learning a lot here. i'm playing around with sketches and here are a few of my observations / troubles

1. if you have created several separate sketches, and you go and edit a sketch, all sketches that came afterwards, disappear from the graphics display. this is somewhat counter intuitive if i want to align a sketch to another sketch, i always have to choose the latest sketch.

2. whenever you draw a multiple line path, each line is really separate. is there a way to CONNECT or GROUP these lines, so that maybe I can move them all together?

3. moving and aligning. This is where the most basic frustrations have come up. I have 2 sketches. one a circle, one a profile. they are misaligned and free in space.

the profile, i am trying to align at a tangent point to the circle in order to do a sweep around the circle. this task seems easy enough. please confirm if I have these steps correct.

from the top view, I must

1. using dimensions, align the profile with the center of the circle.

2. using geometric relations, make the circle coincident with the profile.

at this point, i am aligned with the top view, but the 2 sketches are still not connected. i try to do the same from the front view, and I get nowhere.

then i wonder, why does it require so many steps just to achieve this basic setup? something is off, and i believe i may be missing something fundamental. in all other 3d applications, there are instant snapping and aligning features. I know there is a quicksnaps feature, but it looks like that only applies to when I first draw the sketch. Here I am concerned with moving and aligning after the fact.

Looking forwarding to clearning some of these things up.

THanks!

• Re: Basic Sketching Troubles
          Alan Stoldt

Charlie,

1.) This may fall under Design Intent in part. Typically the first part or sketch made is the base that everything else is related to.

2.) Yes, you can define a chain of sketch features to be related to each other in such a way that you can drag and move them as a unit. Alternately you can create blocks if you ned to insert the same set several times. To relate the line segments, arcs, what have you, check the help files for Constraints and Relationships.

3.) It is 6am and I'm not following this at all. It may be a matter of semantics is all.

If the sketches are on the same plane and aligned in the "top" view, you should be set.

I would suggest reading posts in the forums that are related and also going through the tutorials available in the help files.

James Moynagh

Hi, welcome to the world of SolidWorks. Getting your head around SolidWorks can be daunting at first.On your points you raised;

1 - Suppose all I could say is work out first how you mant to make a part, same applies to the sketchs. If you have to go back to make changes as you say try put the sketches that don't rely on other sketches first. Maybe even put in a base reference sketch if you could.

2 - Could you post an example?

3 - Again could you post a sketch? I think you might need a horizontal/vertical relationship to line them up, but need to see what your trying to achieve.

Charlie Broon

Thanks for the quick replies. I've been going through various tutorials, but was still having issues. they seem to be extemely basic issues which is probably a fault of some fundamental misunderstanding on my part.

concerning my point number 3... i've attached an image that may help. I basically am just having trouble moving sketches around, especially, moving them outside the plane that they were drawn on. for example, if a sketch was drawn on the top plane, it seems like it is stuck to that plane and can not be moved vertically to another plane.

Glenn Schroeder

Charlie Broon wrote:

I basically am just having trouble moving sketches around, especially, moving them outside the plane that they were drawn on. for example, if a sketch was drawn on the top plane, it seems like it is stuck to that plane and can not be moved vertically to another plane.

If you want to move a sketch to another plane, you go here after exiting the sketch.

sketch plane.PNG

If you don't want a sketched line tied to a particular plane you need to start with a 3d sketch.  I hope this helps.

Glenn

James Moynagh

try set up your plane's first to draw the sketch. Then draw sketch on plane that is required on. Then you don't have to worry about moving it. If you do want to move it do as Glenn says.

Mark Greenwell

Hi Charlie,

Attached is a quick video to show how to move a sketch from top plane to front plane.

This goes with what Glenn has already said.

You can move a sketch to any created plane using this method.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2011 sp3)

Charlie Broon

Thanks so much everyone. I think Im getting the hang of the mindset for solidworks. The power seems to be in the ability to edit and make changes after the fact, but then it requires some planning of the sketches and planes.

Kris Rowlands

Most 3D modeling require aforethought prior to jumping into the computer and getting busy

It's best to sit and analyze your project before you start, thinking in your mind what would be the best way for you to model it to capture the design intent you wish to convey. 3D can be quite flexible, but knowing what features you want on what planes is one thing that does require a bit of planning.

Good luck - once you get the hang of it, it's a great deal of fun!

Glenn Schroeder

Most of the models I work with are symmetrical, so this may not apply to you, but there is one thing that helps me a lot.  I build almost all of my parts and assemblies so that my front and right planes are centered on the model.  Everything from mating to mirroring features and parts worked smoother after I figured that out.

Glenn

Doug Seibel

If you are accustom to drawing in 3d, then making the jump to modeling in 3d often requires that you change how you think.  You no longer draw the top of the block, then draw the front of it, then draw the right side....etc.  Instead you extrude your block, add hole features, cuts, fillets, chamfers...add other extrusions...etc.  You don't "sketch everything" and then attempt to make a solid from a bunch of sketches, you create a solid using one sketch and then use the various feature tools to add/remove material until you have the finished model of the solid part.

Does that help?