11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 4:41 PM by Brian Lindahl

SolidWorks 2011 File Location Bug

Scott Leclerc

Windows 7, 64bit os.  I have SW 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 all installed (all latest service packs, all 64 bit where available).  2011 is giving me problems with system settings and file locations that I have never had before with multiple installs.  I need all 4 versions (consultancy that supports clients using old versions).

I can set all my file locations and search paths, save them off using Copy Settings Wizard and have everything working correctly.  If I close 2011 and open it back up all my settings are preserved.  If I close 2011 and launch 2010, close 2010 and re-launch 2010 all my settings change to the 2010 version, so all my pathing is screwed up.  I can run Copy Settings to restore them, but that is tiring when I am switching between 2010 and 2011 multiple times a day.  We are also experiencing this issue on other machines in the office that also switch between 2011 and 2010.

Any one see anything like this?

- Scott

• Re: SolidWorks 2011 File Location Bug
          Scott McFadden

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

You have to know that running multiple versions is playing havoc

with SW.  With that said you might be best to try and setup a macro

to launch each version with the appropriate settings.

Jeff Mowry

Scott, this is dangerous stuff, so tread carefully, lest you lose files in older formats to a mis-saved new version.  I've run multiple versions for many years, and though I'm not seeing exactly what you're seeing (I'm running only v2010 and v2011 now), I can see how this may happen.

Each version of SolidWorks has exactly the same name for the executable.  Most applications use version numbers in their names, such as "eDrawings 2011", so confusion within Windows systems (and even users/shortcuts) is kept to a minimum.  But SolidWorks doesn't want to do this, and worse, the default path for installation files is always to over-write older formats of user data with newer formats (incredibly dangerous to templates, Toolbox stuff, etc.).  Why choose the most dangerous possible option as a default?  (I have no idea.)

So it seems the party line is creeping more and more toward not installing/using multiple versions on the same machine.  It hasn't always been this way, and I've had three or four versions installed on the same machine before with no problems.

I wonder if your particular case may involve something wrong with your registry values.  There's an old trick of erasing one of the values (you'd have to look this one up--don't want to take out the wrong item), which acts as a sort of registry reset in cases similar to this.

Have you contacted your VAR?  Did they recommend anything?

Scott Leclerc

VAR suggested a registry trick that unfortunatly did not work.  I renemed the SolidWorks 2011 key to SolidWorks 2011_old and let 2011 rebuild the key.  Set all my goodies and then tried switching between 2010 and 2011 a few times and voila, all my extRefrences in the 2011 key were reset to the 2010 version.

As for running multiple versions, I have no choice.  We have all our common data in separate directories on the network, which is why the 2010/2011 reset is an issue, I don't want to stomp on the 2010 deisgn library.  Individual projects are firewalled from each other so that is generally not an issue (but we do have a good backup regimen for when we do up-rev the files accidentally).

- Scott

Scott McFadden

So did you resolve your issue or are you just resorting to doing

what you described above having to import the settings each time

you toggle back and forth.

Scott Leclerc

Still hoping for an answer.

Brian Lindahl

I noticed with, I think SW2010 was first, that if there were earlier versions of a SW registry, it would start with that when creating newer release versions of a registry (if "SolidWorks 2009" registry existed, the new "SolidWorks 2010" was a copy plus new stuff).  To make sure a registry is created "clean", no older versions of SW can exist (with the expected name) in the registry the first time the new version of SW is launched.  My work machine registry looks like this:

SW2010_Reg.png

When I load a new version on this machine, I will "copy settings wizard" to make a backup (just in case), then rename the existing registry for the old version (2010) of SW from "SolidWorks 2010" to "SolidWorks 2010_Clean" or whatever work for you (here again, NO previous versions should exist - when already running two or three versions, and installing another, ALL sections of the registry ("SolidWorks 2008", SolidWorks 2009", "SolidWorks 2010" or whatever should be renamed to something SolidWorks won't look for when writing a new registry entry).  Then I can load 2011 and it will make a "real" clean "SolidWorks 2011" registry under the "SolidWorks" section.  Then exit SolidWorks 2011, edit the registry again and rename the "SolidWorks 2010_Clean" (and any others) back to "SolidWorks 2010".  This has successfully kept setting from migrating back and forth for me, and allows for the multiple versions to run on a single machine.  I've never seen the registry "migrate" between version AFTER it had worked showing no migration of data previously - only when I expect SW to create a new registry entry.  And I know I just set myself up for a fall, because "never" is a long time!

Jeff Mowry

I definitely understand the need to run multiple versions.  I wouldn't do it myself if I had no need of doing so.  Perhaps this issue has something to do with the network sharing?  (I keep all my work on a single machine, yet I don't see the bugs you're seeing.)  Are you using PDM/PLM software to manage this?  I wonder if there's a conflict or bug with the software that manages the file sharing (or some aspect related to this)?