4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 7:38 PM by Ron Bates

How to optimize display graphics!

Paul Rymal

Hi! I have recently swung over from Inventor! My question here is how do I get similar graphics display of my different Materials. With Inventor the Chrome looks real! You can even see the background images reflecting off of it. No Particular Graphics card needed. I would like to think that I can at least have the same display with Sworks. I have had to replace my brand new 1.2 Ghz Nvidia Graphics card with an ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL) with 1.0 Ghz in order to enable the "Realview Graphics"! I am running win 7 Pro x 64, 24 Gigs of Ram & Dual Solidstate HD's so memory & speed should not be an issue here!

Any ideas!

Thanks!

Paul

• Re: How to optimize display graphics!
          Paul Rymal

Yes RealView Graphics is turned on!

Paul

Ron Bates

Have you assigned a chrome appearance?  Is it being over-ridden by another appearance in the hiearchy?

Drag/drop from the list of appearances in the Task Pane on the right onto your model.  Use the hud toolbar that pops up to preview what it will look like if you apply to that reference (face, feature, body or part).  That should be it assuming RealView is enabled as you say.   Additoanlly drag/drop different scenes to see different environments reflected in the model and (optionally) in the background.

Maybe post a screenshot of what you're seeing...

Also, if this is all new to you, i'd recommend checking out my "Visualization 101" and "Visualization 201" SolidWorks World presentations which are hosted on Rob Rodriguez's site here:  http://robrodriguez.com/wordpress/?page_id=548.  The Appearance Hiearchy 2.0 video at http://www.solidworksgallery.com/index.php?p=tutorials_tips may help too...

Ron

Paul Rymal

Yes Realview Graphics is turned on! The Chrome is not clean! lots of lines in it! I'll attach a screenshot! Thanks Ron I will check out your presentations!

Paul

Ron Bates

There's nothing wrong.  Those are the environment reflections.  The scene you have chosen happens to be using an abstract (studio-like environment)...I can tell it's one of the 3 Point XXX scenes.  See the attached video.

I start with a modified version of 3 Point Beige which I think is what you're using.

I modified it to have a gradient background which it looks like your model does as well.

I then edit the scene so you can see how to change the background settings.

I then just toggle through a number of different scenes, first using the HUD dropdown, then using double-click from the task pane on the right (both do the same thing)

For some of the scenes which are set up to show the environment image as the background by default, I zoom in/out so you can also see how the environment is giving you those reflections in your chrome part.

So, everything is working fine.  Sounds like you just want to pick a scene that uses a "real world" environment, try some others till you get one you like...

Ron