13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2011 12:38 PM by Mark Sawchuk

EPDM and configurations

David Goode

Being a new user to Enterprise, we have discovered that configurations do not work well with EPDM. Have other users discovered this, and if so how have you overcome it

• Re: EPDM and configurations
          Scott McFadden

David,

Welcome to the forum.

What exactly is not working well with configs and EPDM?

The configurations work fine with workgroup and that is a lesser PDM system.

See if this thread shead any light on what you are talking about.

SolidWorks Configuration in EPDM

David Goode

The problem we seem to encounter is that all the configurations take the item data from the 'base' model' including the revision, so we do not seem to be able to revision control the configurations seperately.

Samu Niveri

EPDM manages revisions in file level = you change something in your file -> it is a new version/new copy of your file.

Scott McFadden

Dont know if that can be done.  I know short of using custom properties

this can't be done in workgroup.

Wayne Matus

I am not aware of any PDM system that can properly revision control configurations.

As Devon mentioned you can have configuration specific data card variables, but the Revision variable would have to be manually entered. Most companies do not worry about the revision level of models. I have even seen some companies just version models. They create a configuration specific drawing that is revision controlled. The drawing is the controlled document that the shop sees to manufacture from.

David Goode

Firstly, thanks all for your comments. I am begining to see that revision control may be an issue. I like the idea of not controllling the revision level of modesl only drawings. However, if we were to start using the BoM part of PDM, then would the revision level of the parts be taken from the model or the drawing?

Wayne Matus

The Items side of EPDM might be able to solve your issues.

Brian Nichols

David,

Here we try to keep both our Models and Drawings at the same revision and don't worry so much with the versions because of adding notes to drawins and such. What I have found is EPDM can control your revisions however you set it up by using the filetype, workflow process, tranistions and setting up revision counters.

Now with that said I don't know of a good way to control separate configurations within a single model although, you could do it with custom data card properties and variables for the different configurations but it wouldn't take very long for this process to become hard to control and manage the different tabs and configurations of the data cards. (We started out that way and then had to move away from it due to problems not EPDM problems but managing file problems)

Hope this helps.  

Wayne Tiffany

I'm kind of thinking that DBWorks does handle configs differently, but it's been a while.

Here, the drawings are rev'd and the models I check in at the time of the drawings going to the shop.  The comment I put in at that point is "Sent to shop".  The point being that we also do not rev models, only drawings.  The models are versioned as described.

WT

Mark Sawchuk

Wayne, kind of off topic but where do you keep your part (.sldprt) files that are used for your drawings? are they in the same folder as the drawing or controlled somewhere else?

Wayne Tiffany

Some of both.  I prefer to have my stuff in one folder because with the drawings somewhere else, you are always chasing paths and can run into out of sight, out of mind.  If the project manager wants all the drawings in one folder, I like to keep them in my folder and then do a Paste Shared into that other folder.  That way they show up, check out, check in from either place.

Other folks don't care as much as I do about it and they just put the drawings wherever.

WT

Mark Sawchuk

K, thanks wayne. We haven't got our EPDM up and running yet, still in the set up stage, I was just thinking about configurations, we were going to create a "Working Files" sort of folder so if we have to adjust our machine files for tool offset and such we can do that without affecting anything else, perhaps the part file (.sldprt) could reside there as well so we could add configurations without affecting other drawings.

I am with a new comapny and want to set up our structure right to start but not quite sure which direction we want to go.

Mark S