6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 10:09 AM by Andries Koorzen

Enterprise PDM - Spare Parts List

Jeff Martin

I'd like to find out how other users have set-up ePDM to handle Spare Parts;

- are you setting a boolean variable to indicate a potential spare part and how are you using that variable?

- are you placing spare part information on your overall General Arrangement drawings?

- Are you using the BOM tab in PDM to generate a spare parts list?

- Are you generating a 2nd sheet for spare parts?

- Has anyone set-up a script which they would be willing to share?

Thanks

Jeff Martin

• Re: Enterprise PDM - Spare Parts List
          Jeff Sweeney

Everyone I have seen has a flag of some sort on the datacard. What you do with the flag depends on how it is used.

Sometimes all spare parts are found by either a search or via a report. I've also seen it appear simply as a column in the BOM.

Jeff Martin

That was going to be my initial approach; placing a flag on the datacard and use the BOM to list the components.  But I couldn't get the spare parts to list seperately, it would only provide ALL the parts in the BOM.

Is there a way of forcing the BOM to list specific parts.  I'm thinking of going away from the boolean flag and use a counter.  Sometimes we identify certain parts as consumable, and hence there would be multiple spares.  The spare part 'counter' would indicate '0' if a spare is not required, and an integer for the number of spares.  I'd like the BOM to only list parts with a counter value >0.

Andries Koorzen

Hi Jeff.

I believe it is possible to exclude parts from a BOM by setting the flag in the part properties. Open the assembly in SW, click the part.. .click properties -> Exclude from BOM.

Now the part will not show up in the assembly's BOM.

Unfortunately you can only do this in an assembly, but you can box select all the parts and then exclude them from the BOM.

Jeff Sweeney

Unless Andries's solution works for you, you won't get what you need with the BOM tab. ...or you could take the BOM and export it to Excel where you can filter and sort to your heart's content.

Otherwise a search, report or API is going to be the way to go.

Jeff Martin

Thanks Jeff.

We've utilized the 'exclude from BOM' functionality, but I believe you'd require a 'spare part' configuration and exclude all the REAL parts.  This would make multiple spare's challenging. E.G. say we design a grinder tool with one grinding disk in the assembly marked as a 'spare part', yet we want a box of 100 disks ordered.  In this scenario I'd need to put 100 disks in the assembly so the Spare Part BOM would populate properly.  This seems futile to me, there must be a better way.

It seems Excel is the way to proceed.  Now what would be really nice is when you export to Excel, it prepopulates a nice form .  I'm no programmer, but I can take instruction.  Anyone with success with this?

Andries Koorzen

@Jeff Martin

You have the same option for specifying the number of a part.

Please open a part. Goto File -> Properties -> Custom Properties. On the top right of the window there is a field called "BOM Quantity ". Enter 100.

Now if you generate a BOM from this assembly you'll see that the parts is listed as quantity 100.

NOTE: If you want to ignore this property, do not make this property 0!  Just delete the value.

Untitled.png