5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2007 5:13 PM by Nick Zotov

surface error message help

I am not sure why you cannot define a direction without seeing the actual file. Can you send it? As far as loft and sweep loft is available (4th icon down on your surfacing toolbar). Sweep requires 2 different sketches to work.
        • surface error message help
          Mike,
          Thank you very much for your reply. I know that I must specify a direction, but I am unable to. How do I do this. I know the box is pink, whereas in a 2d sketch that works, it is white. Secondly, why in the case of sweep and loft, is it that I do not even get the option to sweep or loft. in the pic you can see that the icons are greyed out.
          gdea
            What SWKS is telling you is that you need to specify a direction when you are extruding a 3D sketch. By view your 1st JPG you post I can see you have not given a direction. When you select a sketch to extrude SWKS can tell if it is a 2D or 3D sketch. If it is a 3D sketch you need to tell SWKS which way to extrude. If you look in the Feature Manager of Surface Extrude in the Direction 1 box under where it say s Blind there is a selection box. ( It is pink in your JPG) This box is to define a direction. A direction can be a plane, body or line.

I hope this helps.
              • Re: surface error message help
                Nick Zotov

Originally posted by: Mike Murphy * What SWKS istelling you is that you need to specify a direction when you areextruding a 3D sketch. By view your 1st JPG you post I can see youhave not given a direction. When you select a sketch to extrudeSWKS can tell if it is a 2D or 3D sketch. If it is a 3D sketch youneed to tell SWKS which way to extrude. If you look in the FeatureManager of Surface Extrude in the Direction 1 box under where itsay s Blind there is a selection box. ( It is pink in your JPG)This box is to define a direction. A direction can be a plane, bodyor line. I hope this helps.

Give that man a very large beer!

Will someone please explain to a total newbie to surfaces why I would be unable to surface extrude some side walls on a simple 3-d sketch of a square, and yet I am able to on a 2-d sketch. This is the error I get using the 3-d sketch...
                "the direction of extrusion must be specified for 3-d sketch" and yet I cannot change the direction
                also why wouldn't I get the option to sweep or loft from a 3-d sketch. It is obvious that I am missing something fundamental here.
                  The reason that you don't have to specify a direction vector in a 2D sketch is that Solidoworks defaults to using the normal vector of the plane(or face) the sketch was created on. Since a 3D sketch isn't constrained to a face, you have to specify either an existing flat surface or linear edge (sketch segments and planes will work)
                  For some reason that illudes me, you have to use a 2Dsketch as a sweep profile. You don't have this limitiation with lofting. Both surface and solid lofting are available. However, in order to specify that an individual segment of a 3D sketch is a loft section , you'll need to first RMB and select 'single contour select' and then you can pick one segment.
                  See attached.
                  CAD Naked
                  John