8 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 2:12 PM by Scott McFadden

Modeling a pipe line

Dan Tegman

Hi folks,

This maybe a dumb question but here it goes, I need to model and detail a 1700' pipe line with many bends and elevation changes along the way. I have not started yet but think it might be best to use a 3D sketch, now I have not used 3D sketch for anything except for doing the SW tutorial.

I think the best way to do this is sketch is the full 1700' of pipe run, and then somehow break it down to 40' sections that my customer has asked for. This pipe is some big stuff for me, 24" dia. and all bend radii is 15'.

They need this done so drawings can be made for each section so as the people that will be bending it will have something to go by.

Does my approach sound right? I'm open to any ideas.

Thank you in advance!

Dan

• Re: Modeling a pipe line
          Brian Lindahl

If the entire profile of the pipe is a constant cross-section, I'd use a 3D sketch with 40' lengths of lines in the sketch, and individual arcs for each curved piece desired. Then create a new weldment profile of the cross section and use the weldment tool to have the profile follow the entire length of the 3D sketch.  Finally, make sure the "Merge Tangent arc segments" option is NOT set.  Doing this, each sketch segment of the 3D sketch will create a separate "Body" in the part file.  Each body can be saved out as its own part file, and each part file can then be detailed.

Deepak Gupta

If you have SW Premium, I would suggest you to use Routing option. Though you would be doing the same what Brian has suggested but Routing give you much more better ways to handle (for e.g., auto inserting of bends or insert tees, reduces etc. as required)

Justin Binkley

Hello Dan, I would recommend using a 3d sketch that would include all your entire pipe run into one sketch. Inside of this sketch you can use the sketch fillet tool to place the elbows size by specifying the desired radius. In addition, you can use the RMB split line function to set the desired pipe spool length you are interested in. Remember to press tab to orient your sketch plane correctly. After this exit the sketch. Activate the weldment tool and create a custom weldment profile of the 24" dia pipe. One the custom profile is made use this profile using the functionality of weldments. This is assuming you don't have the routing package provided in SW premium license.

Hardie Johnson

I would approach this as an assembly of straight sections of the required lengths, and curved pieces of the required angles. The tricky part here is to define the relative angular rotation of each curved piece with angled mates. Of course, if it is straight in planview, then a 3D sketch is not needed. This way, I think, would be easier to detail for production.

"YMMV"

Dan Tegman

Ok I started messing around with the 3D sketch and drew a few lines, went back to dimension them and noticed from a top view I can not dimension any angles only lengths. Why is that? (See attached)

To give you all an idea of what were doing, we are installing a 24" pipe line along side of a river, with that being said the river is not straight looking at it from a top plane and from a front plane it follows the terrain.

Maybe I need to do it in "Layout" so I have a datum (Sea level) to work from. What is also difficult is the dimensions are referenced from sea level so the there is alot back figuring to find the pipe center line.

Scott McFadden

Dan,

If you can get a topagraphical map of the river in drawing format, you can insert that into your

part using the insert dwg/dxf file and use either the routing function (has to be purchased)

or look into the 3D sketch to draw along side of the river.

I hope this makes some sense.

Look into the tutorials inside of Solidworks to learn how to use it.

Dan Tegman

Thank you Scott,

I asked the customer last night to see if he can get me the .dwg file to do exactly that. I feel with the top view and the front view of their drawing will eliminate a lot of work. Then I will have to figure out how to do the 3D sketch to tie both views together, this is were it gets confusing for me.

Dan

Scott McFadden

Totally understand.  That is why I suggested the  tutorials.

Other sights you might want to look into for help is youtube.

They have a lot of instructional videos for Solidworks.

You can also try solidprofessor or igetit websites.

Good luck with this.  Looks like you have your work cut out for you.