3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 3:38 PM by Wayne Matus

Item Number Generator

Emir Heco

We have just started using EPDM. The way parts and assemblies get item numbers assigned is they are created through a solidworks template card. Sometimes people like to download parts from mcmaster or some other website and give them item numbers. I am wondering how if everyone else accomplishing this task. Do you save the file directly to the vault and give it an item number later? Do you move the file to the vault and than give it an item number? Finally I guess you could create a virtual item number and replace it with the solidworks file....Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Emir

• Re: Item Number Generator
          Wayne Matus

Have the data card setup to automatically generate serial number when a file is added to the vault.

Item Number Card.png

If you do this, your template needs to be setup so that it does not generate extra serial numbers.

Template serial numer.png

If you need the file name to match the item number, I have seen a dispatch script to rename the file to the value of a variable.

Emir Heco

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for your quick response."If you do this, your template needs to be setup so that it does not generate extra serial numbers"  I understand this is the case for parts created through the template, but what about the parts that are created without a template like downloaded parts. Maybe I am not understanding you well, but the automatic serial generator only works for parts created through the templates only? correct?

Thanks,

Emir

Wayne Matus

My first image is of a file data card. The "Document Number" variable's default value is set to the "Document Number" serial number counter. So when a new file is added to the vault that uses this data card, the "Document Number" variable will have a value of the next "Document Number" serial number. The "default overwrites" checked will generate a new serial if you make a copy of a file in the vault or if a new file is added to the vault and it already has a "Document Number" due to mapping of variables.

In the second image, the "Disable standard serial number generation" being checked says that the template will be generating all serial numbers, not the data card.

So if files are added to the vault using the template, the template will generate the serial numbers, not the data card. If files are added to the vault using the "File Save as" dialog or they are moved from outside the vault, the data card will generate the serial numbers.