5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2011 10:43 AM by Richard Hallman

Is DesignStar officially dead?....

Steve Elting

Hello,

I've kept my 2007 COSMOS DesignStar around for the occasional client that has only native CATIA files and they want FEA work done on them or to translate into something else.  It's been awhile since I last needed to do that but, it came up the other day.  Well, when I went to run it some odd happened.  It went from the DesignStar splash screen to the SolidWorks 2007 splash screen.  I'm thinking how can that be? The change from DesignStar to Simulation didn't happen until 2009. It then asked to activate a license.  I have a license file and USB dongle for this seat, so I'm a bit puzzled.  So, I continued with this and I didn't get very far before it crashed.  I'm in the process of getting hold of my VAR to see what he says.

I guess, I'll have to keep my seat of Alibre to translate CATIA files but, I'd rather spend the subscription money towards something else.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

• Re: Is DesignStar officially dead?....
          Steve Elting

Nobody at SW is brave enough to answer this one?

Bill McEachern

Well you need to define what dead is. I think they will still take your subscription money if you have been paying. Would they let you get back on support - not a chance. You would have to switch to Solidworks Sim first. Are they supporting existing customers that are paying support? I can't say. Will they sell you DesignStar? Not a chance. Are they doing any development on it at all? No.

So if that is dead then yes it is dead. If it isn't then it isn't.

Richard Hallman

I would say DesignStar is dead & cosmosm is being taken off life support.  I was told by my VAR in 2008 that DesignStar was no longer supported.  The old cosmosm support is now gone, so if your VAR does not have experienced FEA people, you can only get support for the FEA capabilities in Simulation.  It's back to ANSYS for me -  I have no choice.

Bill McEachern

Bask to Ansys? Do you already own it? If not, depending on what you do, you might check out MD Nastran. I am really diggin it lately. The contact (linear or NL) is just awesome.

Richard Hallman

I already got Ansys  because I needed to get up to speed quick, since I had jobs I could not  complete with SW Simulation.  It was amazing - using exported SolidWorks geometry, I meshed & ran a fairly large static FEA in Ansys in less time than it took Simulation to tell me the mesher failed.  I did not have to alter the Ansys imported geometry at all, but could not even mesh the same geometry in SolidWorks.  Plus, I have cosmosm models of a lot of old equipment that is still in operation.  The geometry commands are so similar that it only takes a few minutes to convert the GeoStar input files (and spreadsheets used to generate them) to Ansys ADPL input.  I also do a lot on nonlinear, fracture mechanics & dynamics work.    I checked all of the other options & it came down to Abacus or Ansys.  With scripting options using Python, I can do more with Ansys immediately than I ever did with cosmosm.

After what happened to cosmosm after SolidWorks Simulation, I expect the same thing to happen to Abacus when it totally becomes Simula.  What SolidWorks Simulation does well, it does very well & I would recommend it for people who only need to do static analysis or nonlinear analysis of, say small machine parts or consumer products.  The SolidWorks parametric modeler is the best.

I checked out Nastran & Algor, too.  They can do pretty much everything, but at this point, I'm sticking with a company ownership whose main focus is analysis.

Sorry about the typo.