6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 10:12 AM by Michael Palumbo

Flex command deletes split (curve) faces in multi-surface part

Michael Palumbo

I drew a fuselage section as a flat multi-body/surface part and used the flex command to get the correct radius.  This model is being sent into ABAQUS for analysis as a Parasolid (x-t).  To help aid in the placement of rivets once in ABAQUS I am using the split curve to create lines to seed my mesh with.  Rivets are placed at mesh vertices and with the split line + seed intervals I can force the mesh to have nodes in the correct locations.  I am able to create all the correct rivet lines on my flat part but once I use the flex command the surface becomes single faced.  I tried using the wrap command but haven't gotten it to work on anything other than the skin surface.  I've attached some screen shots of the model.  The third image appears to be multi-faced but it is not.... some kind of graphical error due to the close separation of the skin surface to the stringers and frame.  Thanks in advance.

- Mike

fuselage_pic1_flat.JPGfuselage_pic1_flex.JPG

fuselage_pic2_flat.JPGfuselage_pic2_flex.JPG

fuselage_pic3_flat.JPGfuselage_pic3_flex.JPG

• Re: Flex command deletes split (curve) faces in multi-surface part
          Matt Lombard

You should never expect any kind of results from features like Flex and Deform other than just visual results. If you want real geometry, you have to make it directly. Those features don't simulate real manufacturing processes, and usually make a mess of your geometry. They are not shortcuts to save a lot of work unless all you need is a "looks like" model. If you are going to analysis, you owe your downstream people and applications cleaner data.

Michael Palumbo

Matt to be honest I did use the flex feature as a short cut.  I found that trying to create the fuselage as a curved part from the start was a difficult task (or at least for me it was).  To back up a little, I am doing this model as part of a project for my masters program at school.  The drawings I am referencing are out of an old FAA report and many of the drawings for the fuselage section are drawn as flat, labeled "panel curvature in right hand projection omitted for clarity."  When importing the model into ABAQUS everything looks as it should and that's all I really need, a model which looks like the one in the report.  I will be performing analysis of the model and comparing it to test results in the report.  I know they aren't going to be exactly the same but I'm ok with that.  The majority of the project will be focused on analysis in ABAQUS so I'm trying to reduce the amount of time modeling parts in SolidWork so I can focus on the FEA.

Robert Stupplebeen

If I were doing the analysis I would spend the time to get the CAD right before handing it off to Abaqus.  Abaqus and all FEA packages are very picky with geometry being dead-on.  Since you called out that the report only states a radius for the panel I believe the geometry is simply an extrude and a revolve without merge bodies.

Alternatively in Abaqus you could model the flat panel with tied constraints between the stringers in addition to the rivets and then conform it to a cylinder by utilizing a pressure load and contact.  Then use an anneal step to remove any residual stresses.  Then apply the loads you intended and remove the tied constraint.

Personally the first option sounds much easier to me and I'm sure this forum can help.  If you choose the latter option I suggest asking for help here http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=799.

I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Michael Palumbo

I ended up doing something like you suggested a couple of days ago.  The tie constraint in ABAQUS worked very well in bonding all the components together.  I was able to get the split lines to work after the flex command by using the spacing and converting that to an arch length.  Then I drew lines extending radially from the center axis of the skin.  I used these lines to create planes and used the planes as intersecting split tools.  Since the number of rivets is very large I will be using sub-modeling in ABAQUS to create rivets in the areas where my strain data differs from that of the FAA report.