AnsweredAssumed Answered

HDD or SSD for long life mobile workstation?

Question asked by Warren Isaacs on May 24, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 by Valentin Leung

I'm about to buy a mobile workstation.  I will use it for 8 to 12 hours every weekday and I will probably keep it well past obsolescence (up to 4 years, maybe longer if it's still delivering the goods).  It'll almost certainly be a top-of-the-line offering from one of the big players, with latest Intel processor and 8 to16GB RAM.

As for type of usage, I need it to be able to do a bit of everything.  It'll mostly be used for day to day modelling of parts and assemblies which range from very simple, orthognal machined parts, through single injection-moulded plastic parts with,say, 50 to 200 features features, to assemblies containing these parts.  However, it might be callled upon to to run mechanisms analyses and simple FEA a few times a month and anything within Simulation Premium a few time per year.

I need it to do all these things without undue delay, because I'm a contractor and sitting watching a busy computer doesn't create a good image when on client premises.

Having had a look this forum, it seems that SSD is great as a working disk for Simulation and for speedy boot up, but I've seen comments about their limited life.  Does anyone have any experience -- personal or reliable anecdotal -- of the life of an SDD under similar usage?  Is there a time after which I would be foolish not to have a replacement on to hand with an up-to-date image of the installed disk?

Price isn't a great consideration, as it'll be spread over a long and busy working life...unless you tell me that I'll need to budget for a new SSD every year.

If I went with HDD, with the options of additional drive(s) and RAIDing, would I take big performance hit?  My gut feel is that, since this isn't a dedicated analysis machine, I've little to lose by sticking with HDD.  However, when I do run analyses, I don't wan to be wishing I'd gone for SSD.  I've had a look at Anna's benchmark info, which is great.  Is there a similar repository for Simulation performance measurements?

Sorry for long-ish post, but I didn't want to simply ask "HDD or SSD", because you'd quite rightly direct me to a selection of posts which I've already read and which are the root cause of my quandary.

One final, killer question: should I save my money and stick with the venerable Dell M70 on which I'm typing this email, and which does the Punch Holder Benchmark in a blink-an-you'll-miss-it 230-something seconds? 

Thanks in advance

Warren

Outcomes