13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2016 6:38 PM by Ricardo Fontes Portal

Parallel dimensions on isometric view

Chris Italiano

Good Morning All,

I am trying to create an isometric view with two dimensions that I would like to be parallel to each other. In the attached file, I would like the larger dimension to be parallel to the smaller dimension.

I realize that this isn't necessarily proper drafting technique, but it is a visual/style change that we would like for our catalog.  Do you have any suggestions about how to achieve this?

Thank you,

Chris

• Re: Parallel dimensions on isometric view
          Jeremy Feist

I believe you will need to add a sketch to the part on the bottom face (or a plane coincindent with it), use convert entities on the back edge of the block and dimension from the far edge of the post to the line from the converted entity. then you can show that dim in the drawing with the insert model item fuctionality. it will still look a bit off as the laeder will not be real close to the end of the post, but it may get you where you want to go.

Scott McFadden

Chris,

You are going to have to sketch them in and use the parallel contraint.

Then dimension them as per your pic.

Side note, you don't have to book mark your own post.  If you go under your discussions

it will always be there with the most recent responses.

Denny Metcalf

The way I do it is to create an Isometric Annotation View and then add reference dimensions marked for drawing. Then you can import them into your drawing.

Isometric Dimensioning.png

It sounds like I'm in the same boat as you though. The department has been using AutoCAD for over a decade and I was brought in to migrate us to 3D modeling, they happen to have decided upon SolidWorks before I started. This wouldn't have been my first choice in software just knowing that it's sheet metal, but then especially knowing that they do not want to move away from how their drawings have always looked in the past.

All drawings are for the most part, one isometric view with dimensions. It's all sheet metal fabrication but no thicknesses are shown. There's a lot of caveats here such as not using geometric tolerancing or utilizing ASME standards, no dimensioning of flanges and certain features but instead pointing to it and placing a note, etc. Every company does things differently so for me it's just a matter of adapting (or in this case, tearing the program apart trying to find work arounds), but some things that are simple to do in AutoCAD unfortunately take an astronomical amount of additional effort or are impossible in SolidWorks.

Oh I should note, if you are trying to dimension sheet metal parts this way be mindful of what geometric features you use for your dimensions as flattening the part could in fact, destroy your dimensions. It's all about how SolidWorks handles these references, which usually are good enough, but in some cases leave much to be desired.