23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 4:54 AM by James Harnett

2011 Student LIC?

Tony Smith

Hi Guy's

I am getting rusty !

No SW since last Nov.

I am creating "Wire frame's" using our CAM system and I know SW would blow the Door's off this approach.

So ..the  "Student Edition" for 12 Month's"     can I buy the Student editon ?

What do I need to do to get this License going ?

I have 3 kid's in School 14,18,22, Can I use there name and Classes itinerary?

My employer has qouted SW but never pulled the trigger....

I REFUSE TO USE CRACK SOFTWARE.

I have had 5 gig's in the last two years do to the economy.

Many run 75% Crack Software, I make it clear up front,

NO.

I am just trying to "Bandaid" this latest 5 axis MillTurn & Hortz full 4th Gig by doing all the Eng.

With SW and Then have them pull the trigger on a seat of SW.

Thank You !

Tony

• Re: 2011 Student LIC?
          Deepak Gupta

I feel sorry for you but glad to hear that you don't want to use a pirated software .

Yes you can bought a student version (details here: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/education/buy-student-edition-software.htm) but I doubt if you can use that for any commercial work. Check out for more details with the SolidWorks reseller in your area.

James Harnett

I use and have SolidWorks 2009 installed on my laptop for work.  I want to install SolidWorks 2010 or 2011 on my laptop for study, but do not want to jeopardize my work environment.  Can I install both versions on the same computer (laptop in this case)?

Thanks,

James

Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SW forums James

Yes you can but make sure you keep the files (SW files, templates, BOM tables, etc.) separate for each version. Best might be to install them in different drive.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

James Harnett

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for the very promt response.

Is that the normal throughput?  Great...

Sorry for the same Q. in 2 different threads.

I was unsure that they would find a mark.

I am now much assured that they did.

I also read your notes on using this service and found them to be most beneficial.

Thank you,

James

P.S. How do we set tags in here?

Deepak Gupta

No problems James but make sure you delete that other post.

James Harnett wrote:

Thank you for the very promt response.

Is that the normal throughput?  Great...

Yes and I have two versions installed currently and long back I used to have three different versions installed on same machine, running without issues

James Harnett

I tried to delete my msg, I did not have authority to do so under option 2.

When I trtied it again under option 1, the 2nd msg (answer that you gave) also went away (sorry).

How is it that I do not have athority to delete my msg, but I do have authority to delete all secondary msgs?!?

That could be dangerous, unless I do not understand the options.  This needs to be checked, or reworded in the avaialble options.

The bigest problem with tackling new things is not knowing enough about them before gaining practical experience with them.

Thanks for your help, and I will try to pay more attention in the future.

Aaron Baumgartner

James,

Keep in mind that you can not use the student files in a production copy. also student 2010 is the same as the production 2009. the student is a version behind. 

Deepak Gupta

Aaron, student version is not exactly a version behind but labeling is different because the educational/student versions are linked to a school year. Check this reply from Jim (Re: Solidworks 2012 Release Date)

I would not really say they are "behind". The labeling is different because the educational/student versions are linked to a school year. So, the educational/student version labeled 2011-2012 are based on SolidWorks 2011. It is just due to the timing of when it needs to be produced (mid-year) that it is based on the commercial version with a name that matches the current calendar year and not the version that comes out towards the end of that year (SolidWorks 2012 in this year's case). So, the educational/student version that will be based on SolidWorks 2012 will be called 2012-2013.

I hope this helps explain it,

Jim

Aaron Baumgartner

Good to know. looks like many of us were under that impression until it was clarified. So in his case he needs to make sure its the 2010-2011 version since the 2009-2010 version would be like what he has currently. There will still be the limitations on the file compatibility watermarks...  

James Harnett

The idea of a student version and an associated institution brings to mind an idea we had discussed two years ago in a couple of SW and AutoCAD classes.  Is there a location within SolidWorks where students might share their learning experience and ask relevant questions?

Maybe one in which we might call Uofxx-Class101 (i.e. PCC-DFT270) for those students in that particular class, and which could be made available to others in the community (students of SolidWorks).  I suppose I might have just answered my own question.  Can you or I start a thread called Studentsof-PCC-DFT270?  This could get out of hand if everyone were to start such threads.  To remedy this, we might submit a request for such a sub-thread to be initiated pertaining to a particular institution and class, and the moderator(s) might start it for us under a general thread area designed for student use.

Most institutions have e-mail and discussion areas for particular classes if the instructor maintains the access and content.  However, CAD and CAE classes are primarily lead by teachers with practical application experience and not the academic staff who are educators (a clear distinction) and may possess limited experience with these systems.  These teachers are often employed for their skills off campus, and they do not have the time to learn or monitor the communications system within the institution.  To clarify, teachers teach what they know, and educators (some with academic degrees) have been trained in and studied the science of educating students so as to be able to educate their future students.

What say yours?

Wayne Matus

No, you cannot install two different versions if they have different serial numbers. Only way you could do that is with a dual boot system.

James Harnett

I'm a little confused now.

Deepak Gupta has said that it can be done, but the files for each version must be isolated from the other.

You are saying that it cannot be done with different Ser #s.

This seems to indicate that one might use the same ser # for both.

Does the student version have a ser #?

Can two different student versions be installed on one computer (2009 and 2010)?

I can do this with AutoCAD, OrCAD, and a few other software packages.

It is already known that once we create a part / assembly / dwg file in one version, we can never go back to an earlier version with that file.

This makes it really difficult when working with multiple clients who use different versions of SW.

Thanks,

Brian Lindahl

You cannot use different SN's on the same machine without a dual boot, as Wayne mentioned.  I use a Student version for training, and a Home extension of the commercial license from work, but I boot the machine different to launch the other package.  When I boot for the Home extension, I have SW2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and even 2012 Beta on the machine (beta has not run yet, but all others do).

If you are working with clients, the Student version should not be considered and option at all.  

James Harnett

The student version of 2010 is what I need to install for compatibility study (local college) and my working version is 2009.  The problem is with some clients using 2008, 2009, or 2010.  There seems to be a reluctance to upgrade with each newer version posted.  This mix and match version issue is a pain.  The cost of maintaing multiple software versions on different boots or computers is just added weight on my purse strings.

Did you say that you have a commercial lic on one boot (Home extension) and the student version on the other boot?

Do you have 5 licenses on the Home extension boot and the student version on the other boot?

Would you care to (please) detail your home extension process so that I and others might benefit from it?

Thanks,

James Harnett

Do I take it then that you have a student license on one boot, and that the other boot has one or more commercial licenses?

Brian Lindahl

I have one Student license, and one home extension license.  I have 4 versions (releases - 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011) all running under the same home extension serial number or license.  These four versions under one SN will only run one at a time, in that I need to exit SW2008 home extension to run SW2011 home extension.  If I want to run the Student version, I have to reboot and run a different operating environment.  In my case, "dual boot" means I physically remove the hard drive and replace it with a different hard drive, so it is not a "typical" dual boot situation, but results in the same ability as a regular "dual boot" on a physically common hard drive.

Wayne Matus

There might be one other limitation of the student version. I do not think you can do a "File, Save As" to save to another format for importing into your CAM software.