10 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2011 7:47 PM by Yann Le Dirach

EPDM Dispatch SLDRW to PDF

earl navarro

Hi,

I've been looking at Dispatch  to convert SLDRW to PDF once it entered the approved state  . I know EPDM has the TASK function to do this, but it is limited in a sense that it doesn't let me choose the file data card variable to direct the location where i want to save it too.

first question is ..how do you convert pdf using dispatch?

second questions is

i want to be able to save the PDF in a location, depending on the value of a file data card variable  called modelNumber...for example

if modelNumber is 311DBS , the converted pdf should go in a folder named 311DBS.

The actual folder names are already created.

any help will be appreciated.

thank you

• Re: EPDM Dispatch SLDRW to PDF
          Joy Garon

Hi Earl,

Actually, this would be easier if you modified the script in the task.

Reference:

Solution S-052490

Best Regards,

Joy

earl navarro

hi Joy,

how do i access the Solution S-052490, sorry i tried looking but can't find it.

also does this involve api programming?

thanks

Joy Garon

Hello,

No API programming is required. Solutions can be found by searching the Knowledge Base.

I have included this solution as a PDF attachment.

Regards,

Joy

earl navarro

hi Joy,

first i really appreciate all the help you've given me...

when i try the convert task without even touching the advance scripting options, i'm getting this error

"Method call ModelDocExtension::SaveAs for document '\\mvpsrv1\redirected\enavarro\Desktop\MVP_TestVault\CAD Files\12 \CAD Files\700-12-00123.pdf' failed. Error code 4097 returned."

convert task.PNG

also in the advance scripting can i use file data card variables to direct the output path?

thank you

Tim Read

Hi Earl,

I am not changing the path using data card variables but maybe I can point you in the right direction. I am using Solidworks Properties values (set in the data card) for naming the output file.

Two parts are required in the script... added into the script where the script currently removes illegal characters from the filename.

'###############################################################
                          Function GetFileVariable(sVarName As String)
                              sVarVal = swModel.CustomInfo2("", sVarName)
                              GetFileVariable = sVarVal
                          End Function

'# This changes the name of the PDF, not the path.
                              finalFileName = Replace(finalFileName, "%PartNumber%", GetFileVariable("PartNo"))
                              finalFileName = Replace(finalFileName, "%Revision%", GetFileVariable("Revision"))
                              finalFileName = Replace(finalFileName, "%Description%", GetFileVariable("Description"))

You also have to set the Default path using the same format as what you are "replacing", eg.

<VaultPath>\Released Drawings\%PartNumber% - REV%Revision% - %Description%

Hope this helps,

Tim

Jeff Sweeney

Is that output path what you expected? The "\CAD Files\" listed twice and the space after the "12" looks a little suspicious. It certainly is not what you would expect your example path to produce.

Does "\\mvpsrv1\redirected\enavarro\Desktop\MVP_TestVault\CAD Files\12 \CAD Files\" exist?

earl navarro

hi Jeff,

yes the output path exists, and thanks for catching up that extra space after "12", I've fixed it..

i was able to create the pdf and redirect the output to pdf to the right folder, using Joy suggestion editing the advance script in TASK to produce the PDF ...with a combination of DISPATCH  to redirect it to the right folder.

thanks for you help..i appreciate it.

Yann Le Dirach

hello earl,

I had the same need.

My files are organized this way:

[VaultOrigine]\NPIXXXX\CAD\DRW (where we put all the slddrw files)

NPIXXXXX is a incremetnal number !

we wanted to create a SW task to generated pdf from slddrw files and then put the pdf into :

[VaultOrigine]\NPIXXXX\MEP (where we put all the slddrw files)

I just change the script :

' Build destination filenames
                            convFileName = "[OutputPath]"

to :

' Build destination filenames
                            'convFileName = "[OutputPath]"
                            convFileName=Left(modelPath,31)  & "\MEP\" & modelFileName

The 31 number is for  [VaultOrigine]\NPIXXXX\CAD which is a fix length path

Easy to implement.