4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 12:59 PM by Daen Hendrickson

Making page 2 template different than page 1?

Jeff Anderson

So a few years ago I figured out a way to make a drawing automatically pick a 2nd format for page 2 of a drawing.  But I couldn't find an option for it now.  I recently changed our formats for our drawings and it was quite annoying to have to change the sheet format everytime I did a page 2.  I called Tech Support for our local solidworks supplier and they told me it wasn't possible, but that I could turn on the dialogue box for it to ask me which sheet format I wanted to use.

Well, I found a work around that I wanted to share.  So, here is the trick.

1. Create your two sheet formats (a slddrt file) Save them as page 1 and page 2

2. Create a drawing template with the page 1 sheet format as the first sheet.

3. Move the sheet format location for page 1 into a subfolder ( you may want to keep the template for future use).

4. Open up a new drawing and change the sheet format to your page 2 format.

5. Hit save sheet format in the "File" pull down menu, but save the name under the page 1 file name.

6. Now when you create a new drawing it has the sheet format of page 1 embedded in the file and will bring it up automatically, then when you add a sheet, it will look for the file name of the original sheet format when you create a page 2 and pull up your "trick" page 1, which is actually page 2.

• Re: Making page 2 template different than page 1?
          Kelvin Lamport

Check the previous threads on this topic in the More Like This box on the RH side of the screen.

Glenn Schroeder

Why not just create a drawing template with two sheets, each with the desired sheet format?  You could delete the second sheet from your drawing when it wasn't needed.

Daen Hendrickson

We have this working pretty well. It has been a while since I set it up, but I will try to give a step by step. We also updated our drawing templates last fall and I had to redo this functionality.

There is a great article on this very subject here: http://www.solidworkscommunity.com/print_article.php?cpfeatureid=47409

This article discusses the idea of a "second page variable" but it doesn't quite work since they left out a few steps. I suggest you read the article and then add the extra few steps noted here.

1. Create your page 1 sheet format and save it with a name indicating it is for page 1. (Our in-house name is B - Landscape (ISTS).slddrt)
              2. Create your page 2 sheet format and save it with a name indicating it is for page 2+. (Our in-house name is B - Landscape (ISTS) [Page 2].slddrt)
              3. Create your single-page drawing template using the page 1 sheet format.
                1. Now the article says to open the sheet properties and select the page 2+ format and it will save this path. The problem is it will LOAD the page 2+ sheet format. Instead...
              4. RMC on the sheet and select properties. You should see your page 1 and page 2+ sheet formats listed.
              5. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your folder containing your sheet formats.
              6. Temporarily rename the page 2+ sheet format file.
                1. If the sheet properties dialog was opened as directed in step 4, it will not update its information with the newly renamed page 2+ sheet format.
              7. Return to SW and in the sheet properties dialog select the page 2+ sheet format from the list and select OK.
                1. SW will pop a message that "The sheet format could not be located".
              8. Click OK
              9. A new dialog will pop open titled Sheet Format/Size and show you a list of sheet formats.
              10. Click Cancel on this dialog.
              11. The Second Page Variable is now set.
              12. In Windows Explorer, restore the page 2+ sheet format file name to what SW is looking for.
              13. Save your drawing template.

Hope I haven't left out any steps.

What this gives you when you start a new drawing is a single page document using the page 1 sheet format. When you click the Add Sheet tab or Insert / Sheet the Sheet Properties dialog box will open with the page 2+ sheet format preselected so all you need to do is click OK. All added sheets will use the page 2+ sheet format.

We have this same scenario set up for size A & B Portrait and Landscape, C & D Landscape, and an Unlinked B Portrait and Landscape. The Unlinked uses the same title block but strips out all the property links back to the part / assembly files. Instead it used the properties populated in the drawing. We use this for things like operator manual drawings, sales prints, or other non-manufacturing type drawing work.

Daen