9 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2011 1:24 PM by Daen Hendrickson

Multiple Page Drawing Template - Unexpected Custom Properties

Daen Hendrickson

I am using SW2011 with SP3.

Our drawing templates are set up so that pages 2+ use a different sheet format than page 1. The technique we used is covered at http://www.solidworkscommunity.com/print_article.php?cpfeatureid=47409 and seems to work well.

Last year we reviewed our templates and cleaned them up. Some of that cleanup got rid of custom properties we determined were not useful. But every once in a while I notice a few of those legacy custom properties pop back into a drawing. I think I finally figured out what triggers them to show up, but no idea how to get rid of them.

If I start a new drawing and choose my template all is as expected - the custom properties are what they should be. If I add a page, the new page uses the Page2+ sheet format. When this second page is added, the extra legacy custom properties are added to the drawing. Likewise, if I start a new drawing from the template, RMC and change the sheet format to the Page2+ template and reload the extra legacy custom properties are added to the drawing.

Can anyone explain how custom properties are assocaited with a sheet format? And can anyone suggest how to cleanse them out?

Just to clarify, we do NOT have a Page2+ drawing template - only one drawing template that references two sheet formats.

I tried resaving the sheet formats with the additional custom properties deleted, but they still come back.

Stumped.... Thanks, Daen.

• Re: Multiple Page Drawing Template - Unexpected Custom Properties
          Jeremy Feist

the first thing I would look for would be a note in the sheet 2 format that is linked to the old properties.

Kelvin Lamport

Save the sheet format of sheet 1 as the sheet format for sheet 2, modify to suit and resave.

Daen Hendrickson

Here is some additional information:

Within SW, if I Open Files / file of type ALL, navigate to the network folder containing our sheet format template files, and open any of the *.slddrt files, SW opens them as a blank drawing. The temporary file name shown in SW window border is "Draw7 - Sheet1*" or some other incremented number. This blank drawing contains the custom properties I have placed in my Drawing template files (which are in a different folder on the network) as well as the legacy custom properties I am trying to get rid of.

So now it seems apparent where the legacy props are coming from. But I still don't know how to get rid of them. I again tried deleted the unwanted and telling SW to save the sheet format. But the unwanted props are retained next time I open the sheet format template file. I can't save a *.slddrt file directly.

I made a copy of the sheet format file. I opened it, edited the sheet format, window selected everything and deleted. I saved this sheet format as a new name.

I repeated the open process above on the newly saved blank sheet format. The drawing that opened had no lines or notes, but those darned custom properties were still there???

I deleted all of the custom properties and saved (overwrote) the blank sheet format file again. When I reopened it, one custom property was there and it was one of the legacy properties. This property happens to be a built in SW property (SWFormatSize). Why can't I get this gum of my shoe!!!

Daen

Kelvin Lamport

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/42524?start=0&tstart=0

I wouldn't worry about the SWFormatSize property. I know it's annoying not knowing why it appears, but it doesn't interfere with any other properties or SW functions.

If you use the Property Tab Builder no-one will ever see it.

Wayne Tiffany

Not sure if this is merely stating the obvious, but I'll try anyway.  To save the sheet format, go to the File menu and click on Save Sheet Format there. As far as I know, that's the only way to save a sheet format.  And make sure the file you are trying to write it to is not read-only.

WT

Daen Hendrickson

Wayne,

Thanks. I have been known to trip over the obvious looking for minutia... But in this case I have been using the Save Sheet Format. In fact, that is sort of the crux of the problem. My sheet formats seem to have this custom property data in them. But deleting all of the custom properties from the file and resaving using the Save Sheet Format does not seem to clean them out next time I open the sheet format file.

The real stickler seems to be that the custom property SWFormatSize / Text / "11in*17in" keeps showing back up.

When I start a new drawing base on our templates, it is NOT there initially. It only gets added to the custom properties list of the drawing file when additional pages are added (which use a different sheet format) or if I change the sheet format of the initial page to the page 2+ sheet format.

Is this a work stoppage. Not even close... But I've been accused of wanting things "just so" and this keeps needling me.

I found it interesting that opening the slddrt file in SW (File/Open with file of type set to ALL) it came in as a drawing. It would seem SW imbeds the sheet format into yet another drawing file and somehow blends the slddot drawing template drawing file and the slddrt sheet format drawing file into one drawing file upon new drawing creation. And with the slddrt file carrying around these custom properties I can't seem to get rid of, they seem to come along for the ride when a new sheet is created from a particular slddrt and slddot file merge.

I have no idea if that is actually what is going on under the hood, it just appears that is the case from observation.

I did open the slddrt file in notepad and can spot the custom property headings scattered about. But manually editing (a copy of) that is a task for another day. Hopefully someone will come up with a slick method before it comes to that.

Thanks again, Daen

Daen Hendrickson

Some additional observations:

If I start a new drawing with the SW provided drawing template I get no custom properties no matter the number of pages added.

I kept indicating I thought this was related somehow to my page 2+ sheet format. If I start a new drawing with my in-house drawing template (which only populates with the intended custom properties) and then add a second page but set the sheet format to page 1, the SWFormatSize custom property shows up.

So the trigger is adding pages, but seems to occur no matter which sheet format used.