0 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2011 11:40 AM by Peter De Vlieger

2d and colours

Peter De Vlieger

Whenever I see someone mention that something somebody wants on a drawing isn't according to a standard I have to sigh.

One just has to look at the "show us what you can't do" thread to see the myriad issues with it. Issues that you'll have a hard time finding in a product that cost a tenth of the cost of SW.

Let's face it. Drawings in SW is a module with so many inherit issues in  it that one has to wonder if it is a Beta release. It's possible to  have 4 different looking version of what should be the same drawing by  only using Solidworks products.

Recently I had the issue that we had put an group of entites on a drawing in a particular layer. This layer having a certain colour to make it stand out.

The same colour was then used to colour the appropriate lines in the BOM.

Result :

1/ .SLDDRW : the correct elements as well as lines in BOM coloured as wanted

2/ making a pdf with SW own routine : the correct elements coloured BUT most of the BOM lines are coloured and not only the correct ones (Bug SW)

3/ savesas .dwg : the correct elements coloured but NONE of the BOM lines coloured (Bug SW)

4/ Opening the original .SLDDRW in edrawings : not a thing coloured, not even the elements. (Bug SW and/or eDrawings)

5/ making an .edrw : the correct elements coloured BUT most of the BOM lines are coloured and not only the correct ones (Bug SW and/or eDrawings)

6/ making a pdf with pdfcreator :  the correct elements as well as lines in BOM coloured

In other words. If one wants to use colours, layers with colours or anything of the sort then you're on your own and in for a world of hurt. SW acknowledges that there are issues and that they are known.

The fact that one is able to make a SLDDRW and not be able to make an identical version of it in anything but PDF, and only if if one uses a 3rd party product, should have been high on the priority list and fixed 10 releases ago. The reason being that at the very least one should be able to expect that the drawing one makes looks exactly the same no matter what, anything else makes everything on the drawing suspect.