AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help with core development

Question asked by Troy Bungard on May 4, 2011
Latest reply on May 26, 2011 by Craig Pretty

Greetings all ...

I'm looking for a saving grace here... see attached part.

First of all - I've been using solidworks for about a year - and this is my first real surfacing project.  I've had no training on solidworks - I used to use the other software until I started working with this company.   That aside ... I know my model has some flaws, but I don't know what I can do about that at this point.

This is a dash for a boat helm, when rotated upright, the angled face has 2 cut outs - this is where the gauge cluster inserts.... and the part needs to be hollow inside to access gauges and wiring, etc.  (I wanted to use 3/4 offset but could only get 5/8 to solve)

I need to make a solid model of the internal faces - so I can machine a plug for a mold.  I also need to add 3/8 to the outside surface and machine a block to make our mold box from.

This is a polyurethane high density foam piece.  we use soft tooling made from silicon rubber.  boxes for the rubber are generally wood or fiberglass - in this case fiberglass.  the 3/8 addon, is to simulate the rubber to  i have uniform thickness of material of the silicone.

the internal core - obviously- is to control part thickness.

I have a mock up of my part made from a solid block - which I have to send out for a vinyle texture wrap.

Now I need to work on the mold box and plug - which I'm having several issues with.

I can't get it to solve.  it's saying can't knit surfaces...

For the rubber - I usually insert my part into a solid block - make a cavity - then shell it down to the thickness I want the rubber to be ...

that fails due to some vertex it doesn't like -

I'm ready to pull the remaining hairs from my head-

anyone please help - greatly appreciaited...

Outcomes