AnsweredAssumed Answered

interested in mechanical engineering

Question asked by Brian Baker on Apr 28, 2011
Latest reply on May 29, 2014 by Mike Pogue

Hi I am new to the forum and I had a question for all the mechanical engineer's out there. I am interested in obtaining a engineering degree and was interested to see if anyone had any advice for me. I am going to be thirty this year and I have been fabricating and designing for a small company for about 5 yrs now. I have taught myself autocad 2007 and have used Bobcad/cam and am now using solidworks with a bobcam add on for almost a year now. I now have a desire to change the direction in my life alittle bit and have applied to Penn State and to the Universtity of Pittsburgh. I have been accepted to Pitt and am waiting for a reply from Penn State. My question is, I love to design but I also love to get my hands dirty and get out from behind the computer also. I guess what I am asking since I only know some ME on a professional level and don't feel it would be professional of me to ask them, is do ME actually get to do a lot of designing and working out on the shop floor. Or do they normally just get stuck in an office crunching numbers and answering questions. Don't get me wrong I like math but getting to work with an old bridgeport is like therapy to me it's just calming to make chips. Any reply or possible pointers in the right direction would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks Brian

Outcomes