6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 12:18 AM by Anna Wood

scaling drawing formats to fit 1:1 models

Clay Hamilton

I want to have the effective scale for all my drawings to be 1:1, so that the CAM group never has to scale geometry when they open my files.  I also want to print paper copies on ANSI-C formats all the time, so the sheet format needs to adjust size to always fit 1:1 geometry views and still be the right ratio to print correctly as an ANSI-C drawing.  How can I accomplish this?

• Re: scaling drawing formats to fit 1:1 models
          Nick Goodrum

Clay,

You just need to create a template (.drwdot) that meets those requirements.

Dustin Biber

How are you providing the data to the CAM group?  SolidWorks has the ability to export drawing files (saveas) to DXF with 1:1 output enabled.  This will allow you to have your drawing at whatever scale makes sense to fit on a C-size and still provide 1:1 views to CAM.  This is typically the way it is done.

Mark Zellefrow

I have the same problem, working at a laser shop...I needed to create a DXF 1:1 on some very large parts to output to our nesting program. Our standard drawing sheet size is an A.  I am new to the company and the are bouncing between AutoCAD LT and Draftsight to create DXF's to resize their drawing template to the 1:1 dxf file. Thank you for the exporting post. enabling 1:1 works perfectly.  However, when I bring my customers dxf into my sheet fortmat, delet all the annotations not needed, I am left with tiny dots on my solidworks drawing file?  def points? does anyone know how to get rid of these?

Anna Wood

Mark,

You can save DXF's directly out of the SolidWorks model.  File > Save As > select DXF for the File Type.  Set up your options in the wizard SolidWorks will launch.

You can also Save 1:1 dxf's from the slddrw.  When you select DXF from the drop down in a drawing select the Options button and set accordingly.

For customer data you need to understand what they are sending you so you can import into SolidWorks accordingly.  Are they sending files in metric units or inch.

Can you post an example file customer dxf for us to try?

Cheers,

Anna

Mark Zellefrow

Anna, thanks for your reply.  Soon after I posted, I figured out the problem.  Embarassed to say but the def points were on a layer, I shut the layer off and the tiny dots went away.  Should have done this before I posted.  I do save DXFs from the model, very quick and very simple and now thanks to this string of posts, I can save my scaled drawing as a full 1:1 dxf output by enabling the 1:1 toggle I did not know exsisted. We are trying to migrate away from autocad and draftsight but not having to work with DXF's I did not have a solution for the other guys...I do now!  I love the avatar...but being from Pittsburgh, I hav to say GO PENGUINS!  thanks again for youe help.

Anna Wood

Mark,

Excellent....  Glad you got it sorted.

As much as I would like to ban 2D dxf's from our shop the reality is they are still pretty useful.  Our laser and waterjet like dxf files.  We use Draftsight to maintain our legacy 2D CAD files and for whatever work we need for our lasers and waterjet.  The rest of our CNC needs we use native SolidWorks.

I Save As to dxf for a detail or two on each job we do.  In a lot of cases it it the most efficient format to get the job done.

Cheers,

Anna