4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 12:05 PM by Steve Uptain

Fluid level in a tank.

George Edwards

I'm using Solidworks Professional, and as you know have limited sim capbability.

We manufacture plastic fuel tanks for the offroad industry.  New EPA regs require most of these vehicles meet air quality standards, ie having carbon canisters, low permeation tanks and hoses, fill level shutoffs, vents, and all.

Part of that standard is that tanks cannot be filled more than X, and after filling to the X level, if the tank is tipped a certain number of degrees the vents cannot be covered by the fuel.  If this occurs the fuel level (and volume) needs to be recalculated.

There numerous other factors that go along but this is just a start.

My question, is there a way simulate this either using Simulation, do I even need to use simulation, or will an upgrade in software be needed.

I have several ideas using combine and or maybe a plane and a known volume and cutting that volume with the plane and recalating the volume.

• Re: Fluid level in a tank.
          Steve Uptain

Assuming the tank is sitting on a flat horizontal plane, are there many ribs or changes in cross section of the tank in the vertical direction?

If not, I'd probably just go the route you mention and model the fuel in the tank as a "dummy solid" with cross section converted from the internal dimensions of the tank and extruded up to a reference plane, then rotate the reference plane to just below the vents.  Using mass props will then tell you if you have the proper volume of fuel, upon which if found lacking the "driving" tank internal dimensions could be changed to accomodate.