1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 11:29 AM by Charles Culp

Problem with extreme slowdown/crashing of large sketches

Ben Finio

I work in a robotics lab and some of our processes require that we do very large, complicated 2D sketches in Solidworks. I've found in general that solidworks is great at handling objects composed of combinations of many simple 2D sketches (lots of extrudes, revolves etc) or large assemblies of 3D objects; but after a certain point of complexity, performance in sketch mode drops dramatically. We will literally sit and wait for several minutes to execute something like a copy-paste function or to offset a chain of lines, etc. We've found that turning off the auto-solve sketch feature helps a bit while drawing, but really that's just delaying the problem because you need to turn it back on eventually to keep everything updated and parametric.

Is this a fundamental limitation because we're using Solidworks for something it wasn't really intended to be (a 2D CAD program)? Does it have somethign to do with an internal limitation to how much memory Solidworks will allocate to sketch mode, and if so is that something we can change?

• Re: Problem with extreme slowdown/crashing of large sketches
          Charles Culp

Ben,

It probably has to do with how SolidWorks handles sketch constraints. As you add sketch elements, the number of sketch constraints required to solve increases multiplicatively. Thus you always want to keep your number of sketch elements, and more specifically the number of sketch constraints, down to a minimum.

A good way around this is to use multiple sketches. Create a base sketch, then close out of that sketch, and create a new sketch on the same plane. You can use the convert entities tool to bring existing elements in, as this constraint does not require solving. When I create very complex sketches, I often create two or more sketches. There is the base sketch that defines the foundational geometry, then the final sketch (used in the feature) that contains all the small and transitional elements.