7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 1:03 PM by Martin Contreras

Workflow Activation

Brad Joseph

This is probably a dumb question...well it is...I have yet to take the classes for EPDM. We are due to have a new server installed in the coming weeks, and will be  having someone come down for everything EPDM. Aside from that I'm trying to get my feet wet in the mean time. Currently I'm dabbling in Workflows, trying to figure out what we need/want and how to accomplish it. There was a few workflows already, and i decided to make my own. (we are piggybacking on a different divsions testvault right now). I made my own small simple workflow. But when i check in parts it always references a different older workflow. How can I get it to reference my new workflow?

I went in to all workflows and under properties deleted any conditions as i thought thats what was doing it. But it still references the old workflow.

I tried checking the admin guide...but if the answer is in there i didnt see it.  How can i begin to use a new test workflow? Definetly confused. They don't make EPDM user friendly thats for sure.

• Re: Workflow Activation
          Jim Sculley

Brad Joseph wrote:

This is probably a dumb question...well it is...I have yet to take the classes for EPDM. We are due to have a new server installed in the coming weeks, and will be  having someone come down for everything EPDM. Aside from that I'm trying to get my feet wet in the mean time. Currently I'm dabbling in Workflows, trying to figure out what we need/want and how to accomplish it. There was a few workflows already, and i decided to make my own. (we are piggybacking on a different divsions testvault right now). I made my own small simple workflow. But when i check in parts it always references a different older workflow. How can I get it to reference my new workflow?

I went in to all workflows and under properties deleted any conditions as i thought thats what was doing it. But it still references the old workflow.

I tried checking the admin guide...but if the answer is in there i didnt see it.  How can i begin to use a new test workflow? Definetly confused. They don't make EPDM user friendly thats for sure.

Files are assigned a workflow (based on the Conditions in the Workflow properties) the first time they are checked in.  Subsequent check-ins will not alter the workflow.

Jim S.

Brad Joseph

Currently i just want the workflow to work for all file types. I dont understand what condition to put for it to make this work. Their conditions dont appear to be that straight forward, and the admin guide isnt that clear. It just seems to send me from one section to the other.

Brad Joseph

I've also tried establishing a condition, setting filepath, and then %.sldprt to try and make choose that file everytime i check one in...still does not work. i assume I'm using it all incorrectly...

Wayne Matus

In the property of the workflow you define conditions to restrict which files go in what workflows. If a file can possibly go in omre than one workflow, EPDM decides which one the file goes in and 99% of the time it picks the wrong one. In defining the conditions, != is a NOT operator. So in your testing environment, if you have several workflows defined, but do not want anymore files to be added to them, you would setup a filepath condition with the value !=%. This means that no files can meet this condition.

Steve Ostrovsky

For testing purposes you could create a folder in EPDM, put your files in there (don't check them in yet, per Jim's advice), then create a Category to point to that folder path. Then use that Category in your new workflow.

Martin Contreras

Brad,

If you will never use the old workflow as a primary means to manage the state of your files then you can remove all permissions from the initial check in state. Doing this along with setting the workflow conditions should ensure the files are assigned to the proper workflow.

If there are states you still want to use in the old workflow then create a link state between the two workflows.

Hope this helps.

Martin