10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2011 10:12 AM by Brandon Griffin

revision clouds

Mark Greenwell

Hi All,

When is SolidWorks going to have the ability to add a Revision Cloud to a drawing, similar to how it's used in AutoCad.

At Present I am using a macro created by Keith Parker, but feel this function should be available out of the box.

I know some will say its not a recognized Standard, but its been used forever to draw you eye to a drawing change.

Is there any one else out there who feels this should be available.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2011 sp3)

• Re: revision clouds
          Peter De Vlieger

I'll second that !

Mark Greenwell

Hi Peter.

Looks like there is only me and you interested in this.

So i don't hold out much hope of it being implemented.

Thanks

Mark

Steve Calvert

I don't think "revision clouds" are used in any ASME standard.  We use the triangle annotation for revision changes.

If you want a cloud, put one in the PDF.

Steve

Mark Greenwell

Hi Steve,

As I said in my original post I recognize that a revision cloud might not be in any standards.

However it's been around for that long, that every one knows what it means.

If I have a large revised assembly drawing i want who ever is looking at it to see that it's been revised.

The best way (in my opinion is to have a Rev Cloud around the area that's been changed. It draws your eye straight to it.

Putting a small triangle onto a large Fab drawing could easly be missed.

In regard to modifying a PDF drawing why would i want to create extra work for myself.

You might not like Rev Clouds but I bet there are a lot of companies out there that use them.

Other Software similar to SolidWorks lets you use them.

Regards

Mark

Roy Potter

Hi Mark

revision clouds seem to be an architectural thing. I only came across them when I started doing work with a steel fabricator and working with architects.

Personally I hate them as they can obliterate a drawing but.... if the client wont approve the drawing without it what I can I do?

I think the cloud should be introduced and I'm probably using the same macro you are.

Roy.

Mark Greenwell

Hi Roy,

Yes I agree, as it probably is used mainly in steel fabrication drawings to highlight changes.

However my point is that if SolidWorks is marketing its self in the structural steel market, then it should recognize that functions like this are required. Other wise why have structural members ect.

Another major function also missing is the ability to add a CoG point, (this has been discussed too many times to bring up here).

Also why are section arrows controlled in dimension styles. If i want to dimension using an engineers tick when i do section views, the section arrows will also be a tick. In order to get the section arrows as an arrow I need to set my dimension styles as an arrow. After dimensioning I then have to go and change the dimension style to a tick. Crazy

I would like to see the ability to tweak standards to suit how we do things at the company I work for.

At the end of the day they pay my wages not SolidWorks. SolidWorks is only 1 tool of many that I use to get things done.

Ask your self why are Tekla X-Steel / AutoCad / Inventor so popular, this might be because they are not rigid in there application, rather you can taylor them to suit your needs. All 3 also allow you to add a Revision cloud and 2 let you add a CoG.

Thanks

Mark

Peter De Vlieger

They are also used in other fields such as Piping and several other construction related fields no doubt.

As pointed out, a revision triangle on a drawing is easily overlooked as well as doesn't actual show what area the revision has happened. In most cases afterall it isn't just one or two dimensions that have changed but a whole bunch of changes. So either one writes a note the size of a small treatise or one just draws a cloud.

Besides what to do if there's an area that one has to place a HOLD on?

As Mark mentions, if SW states that it's also meant for those branches then they should fully cater to it.

Instead of hiding behind "standards" used  in one field, in one country, by one group of users.

Mark Greenwell

Hi Peter.

Thanks for you take on this.

Part of a drawing 'On Hold' was a good example.

I recognize that Structural steel detailing will be different to mechanical detailing, and what you can place onto a drawing will vary,even company to company.

By all means have SolidWorks set as a default to a Standard but at least give us the opportunity to over write these settings with our own.

This inflexibility/ and the lack of functions in structural steel is one of the reasons I have been looking at add ons i.e. SolidAce or AMV Steelworks.

As you agreed with me I will award you the points for a correct answer.

Thanks

Mark

Brandon Griffin

They're still used very much by the big A&E firms like Sargaent & Lundy, Enercon, Bechtel, etc. We work with them frequently and have to add revision clouds to drawings. It may not be an ASME standard, but it's an expected practice in a lot of fields. I was able to find a great macro on these forums to make a rev cloud based on a spline. Not as easy as in ACAD, but a lot better than doing it entirely by hand.

I don't see any reason why SolidWorks can't support this. It's just another line style. It seems like a very simple implementation that I've seen people asking for on here for years.

When you're reviewing a drawing package with 100+ drawings, a couple of revision triangles isn't going to suffice in bringing your attention to all of the changes.