1 2 3 Previous Next 238 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2013 9:24 AM by Matt Gortner

Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?

Mark Biasotti

I'd like to start a discussion about SW Multi-body modeling for those of you that work in this mode. Ever since SW2003, users can create multiple bodies in a single part file, and intelligent manage those bodies (both surface and solid) in order to create more complex products that could not necessarily be accomplished < SW2003.

The basic question is this: If we were to do significant improvements to Multi-body, what could we do better?I'd also like to hear from some of you about your experiences with other systems like ProE, Inventor, CATIA and SE on this subject

When I have users ask me what's the advantage of modeling in Multi-body I tell them it gets you around (circumvent) the history tree in order to accomplish certain solutions - i.e. giving the user control of Boolean feature by feature.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• 1. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
          Scott McFadden

Mark,

Here is one thread you might want to take a look at.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/215751#215751

• 2. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
            Don Vanzile

1) Be able to add fillets and chamfer features across multiple bodies.

2) Be able to add exploded views, especially for weldments.

3) You can't right-mouse click to 'Show Hidden Bodies' like you can with hidden components in an assembly.  You have to go to the Bodies folder. Let's keep the functionality/user interface consistant.

• 3. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
              Kevin De Smet

I actually really like the multi-body in Solidworks, it's very transparent and fluid. I also work with Catia and there multiple bodies are more rigid, you manually insert a new body and they are physically seperated from each other in the tree. It's hard to move stuff from one body to another.

What? Not everybody is all negative on these forums all the time

• 4. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                Nick Goodrum

I think he asked what can be done to better multi-body modeling....

No?

• 5. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                  Matt Lombard

Multibody stuff has improved a lot in the past few years.

I really like the addition of the display pane for multibody. All of the options with Insert Part are really great.

Stuff you could do better:

1. don't fail the Rib feature if a new body is added to the model.
                  2. make sure appearances are tracked per body and that this really works (yesterday I made a new feature to one body, and I had two bodies with different apperances. I accidentally had the "merge" button on, and when I turned it off, the body colors had been exchanged between the bodies)
                  3. make sure the "automatic" setting for bodies folders in the feature manager really works (frequently folders are hidden even when they contain bodies)
                  4. allow fillets and draft and other features to be applied to multiple bodies.
                  5. Some features or options do not cause an error when they don't work. For example, if I have the Merge option turned on, it is part of my Design Intent. If it fails to merge, and the software just turns it off, that's clinical error-phobia. I need to know if something doesn't work.
                  6. you can hide solid bodies by rmb on any feature that touches that body, but you can't do the same with surface bodies - it has to be the last feature
                  7. some features consume the tool body. it would be nice to always have the option.
                  8. get rid of the annoying message that asks if I really want to copy a body with the Move/Copy Bodies feature.
                  9. Consolidate the 4 methods for saving bodies to external files - split, save bodies, insert part, Insert into new part. Keeping track of the relative strengths and weaknesses is a tedious job.
                  10. It would be cool if you could save out bodies with only the parent features for that body. That would make the lazyman's assembly modeling finally really doable without a big penalty for being stupid. If you could save out a series of parts all built as multibody as individual parts with their own features in their own file, some best practice nannies could take some time off.
                    (10a) if you could easily reorder all the features in a tree such that all features for a given body are in a contiguous folder, without being all jumbled up all over the tree, that would also be helpful for those best practice multibody nightmares that noobies tend to create.

I'm sure there are a couple dozen more. I'll come back when I think of some.

...oh, yes, multibody explode.

• 6. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                    Kelvin Lamport

Allow bodies (inserted parts) which were positioned using the mate functions, to be dragged according to their DoF. Same as a regular assy.

Many purchased parts are real world assys, but are imported as a multi-body part within a SW model.

• 7. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                      Don Vanzile

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

Allow bodies (inserted parts) which were positioned using the mate functions, to be dragged according to their DoF. Same as a regular assy.

Many purchased parts are real world assys, but are imported as a multi-body part within a SW model.

Matt wrote
                      Consolidate the 4 methods for saving bodies to external files - split, save bodies, insert part, Insert into new part. Keeping track of the relative strengths and weaknesses is a tedious job.

I couldn't agree more with this.  I think the line should be blurred between part functionality and assembly functionality in many areas.  It would be great to take a multi-body part and actually treat it like an assembly (without the work that Matt mentions).  Maybe even save a part as an assembly and then the multi-bodies would act like parts in the assemblies and can utilize motion mates and DOF.  And like Matt said, let the system take care of the information behind the scenes for these tasks.

• 8. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                        Kevin De Smet

Negative thoughts! but alright, you are correct.

• 9. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                          Nick Goodrum

haha c'mon Kevin! The glass is half full not half empty!

The phrase "what can we do better" is a positive gesture not a negative one

• 10. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                            Mark Biasotti

Thanks Scott,

Yeah, I saw that one and took interest because I had the same issue with the robot hand project that I worked on before SWW. the hole data does come thru the save bodies but it is hit or miss.

Thanks for bring it to my attention.

Mark

• 11. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                              Mark Biasotti

Hi Don,

You can't right-mouse click to 'Show Hidden Bodies' like you can with hidden components in an assembly.

I'm assuming you're talking about when you  are creating or edting a sketch?  - There is a Hide (or show) on the RMB but it is way down at the bottom of the RMB menu so I agree, it isn't consistent in that you don't get the little eyeglasses icon like we've become accustom at the popup toolbar.

Mark

• 12. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                                Mark Biasotti

No,

Kevin gave an absolutely great answer because I also asked users to convey there experiences with other CAD. Thanks Kevin.

Regards

Mark

• 13. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                                  Don Vanzile

Hey Mark,

No, I'm saying that there isn't an option to show hidden bodies at all in rmb in empty graphics area. You have to go to the folder to show them.  Unless I missing something?

Multi-body part with hidden bodies rmb shown below (No option to show hidden bodies)

No Show Bodies.png

Assembly when components are hidden and rmb is clicked shown below.

Show Bodies.png

It's not there and is inconsistant.

• 14. Re: Multi-body modeling - what  can we do better?
                                    Scott McFadden

Your welcome Mark.

When I think of others I will be sure to mention them to you.

I know I wish there was some easy way to convert a multi-bodied

part into an assembly.  I have to believe this comes up now and then

where some decides after the fact that they would want this.

1 2 3 Previous Next