9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 3:50 PM by Rich Bolduc

Thickening

Rich Bolduc

Having issues thickening this surface.  I'd like to thicken it inward so I have a constant thickness of .065", but it won't let me.  Any idea?  I can do an offest, then cap the ends, but then it won't let me combine the two solid bodies, guessing it's a zero thickness error.

Thanks,

Rich

• Re: Thickening
          Matthew Perez

Rich, you have some interesting things going on with those surfaces preventing the thicken or a true offset operation without a bit of work.  Part of the issue comes from that thin extruded section at the top edge of the surface not having any tangency with the surrounding surface.  Another issue is the curvature of the actual surfaces which gets intersteing once offset.

What is the end goal for this product?

Here is a curvature view of your surface.  All the change in colors near the seam is causing issues.

surfaceOffset.jpg

Rich Bolduc

Thanks for the fast reply Matthew.  I'm trying to create the bottom half of a shade really.  Some of the sketches show the boundries I have to work with as to not interfer with the top half of the shade.  We're turning an LED product we had in to a CFL lamp and my bosses wanted to keep the full porportions (hence the scaling after the body delete).  So pretty much the bulb is going to sit in that humped up section, and there's going to be a metal reflector screwed in to the top.

Matthew Perez

How will you guys actually make the part?  Injection molded?  The reason I ask is because a lot of the surfaces arent moldable so if we work on refining it I dont want to send you down the wrong path:)

Rich Bolduc

yes it's going to be a mold injected part.

Matthew Perez

Ive got a few things i need to get done but ill hop on this as soon as I get the chance.  (if nobody else chimes in:))

Matthew Perez

Okay rich I took another quick look at the part.  In the opening on the main body you have the .09" section.  On the nose portion of your surface you applied an equal curvature relation but the sourrounding surfaces don't have this.  I also noticed a lot of your 3d sketches were just converted entities of edges.  This isnt neccessary to do if you are just using them for your surface edge selections.  A lot of the sketches have broken links to what I assume were converted edges in an assembly so Im not sure what is driving your shapes.  Do you have an original file that I could see even if its a screen shot?

Ravi Teja

Hi Rich,

Offset n cut with surface solved the problem.but still dint get the reason for zero thickness error.