12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2014 5:54 PM by Dane Reelie

Displaying different configs of a driven dimension in a table

Tim Koritz

I am trying to display a table with different configurations of dimensions that are driven by a sketch.  I have created Configuration Specific properties that refer to these dimensions per the pic below.  Is there a way to reference which configuration I display in a cell?

props.JPG

table.JPG

• Re: Displaying different configs of a driven dimension in a table
          Scott McFadden

Tim,

What you are trying to do sounds like it can be accomplished in a design table.

Which can drive your configs.

Tim Koritz

I don't think a design table will work because the values I want are from driven dimensions.  As far as I understand, design tables only drive dimensions...

I thought that maybe I could create a configuration specific property and reference that property in a table.  The equation "Driven Dim1@sketch1@part1.sldprt" only references the dimension in the active configuration.  Is there a way to reference a configuration property of a part in a table on a drawing?

Tim Koritz

I guess I need to try and rephrase the question...

1. I have a driven dimension in a sketch and it's value is different between configurations.

2. I would like to display all values of the driven dimension in one table on a drawing (so I need to be able to reference the value of that dimension in a configuration that is not active).

3. So I will have 5 different values in 5 different cells in the table.  Each cell referencing the value of the driven dimension in a different configuration

I thought that by creating configuration specific (not custom) properties in the part that I could link different cells of a drawing table to the value I want shown... seems to me that it is not possible to reference configuration specific properties in a drawing.

Scott McFadden

This is what I am thinking.  Each dimension has a code name (i.e. D1@Sketch1)

with the D1 portion renamed sometimes to be feature specific.

When you alter this in a configuration I believe that the configuration name gets added

to the end of the dimension name (i.e. D1@Sketch1@default)

I am thinking that if you place this code in the general table the numeric value

for each configuration will be displayed.

Tim Koritz

All right.  I see where you are going with this and I probably never would have thought of it.

I only have one complaint though - I need to make a drawing of an assembly instead of just a part.  So I end up having to manage an extra file... such are workarounds I guess.

Samu Niveri

Hmm.. The part is virtual component so it does not actually produce any extra files. The only thing which actually changes in this workaround is the file type of the file which is added to actual drawing. For other properties you have to find way to show the model correctly in real boms, but I`m pretty sure you can figure it out But ofcourse if you have something really specific in your model then you have to figure out something different.

Matthew Shekels

Im sorry, I need to know how you created that table, from the zip file I don't see how you linked the values..

Dane Reelie

Hi Matthew,

I was trying to figure out how to do the same thing as you, and found the method Samu described above as the best way to do it.  It actually works quite well when you figure out how to do it.  The only issue as you have found is having to reference an assembly in the drawing and not a part.  I don't find this a big problem though, as you just create a new assembly of the same file name as your part and the only part in this assembly is the part you are working with.

You are aware of how to create the config specific property which reference the dimension you are trying to show.  When you do this, make sure your property name is the same and set this up for all of the configurations you would like to show.  Let's name this "DIM. A"

Now the only trick is creating the BOM.  To do this, insert your standard BOM in the drawing and then edit it. First, delete any unnecessary colums then to edit which columns reference which values click on the header above the column to highlight then entire column.  A menu bar pops up and the icon 4th from the right is the column property.  Click on this and you can select what you would like to reference.  For the first colum, in the 'Column Type' down down I selected Custom Property, in the 'Column Property' drop down I seleced SW-Configuration Name. For the second column, I selected Custom Property for 'Column Type' and you should be able to selecte the custom property name you created above (in this case "DIM. A").  Now the two columns should reference exactly what you are looking for.

Make sure you save this BOM as a new template so you don't have to recreate it every time.  Now that you have saved your template, when you go to insert it again, you will have to check which configs you would like to show in the BOM Property Manager.

The only other trick I found is the BOM automatically tries to add a column showing the quantity.  You can't just delete these.  To get rid of them so all that shows up is the config name and the dimension, just select the entire column then right click and select hide column.

Hope this helps.