5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 10:26 AM by Todd Puckett

Electrical Program Files

Michael Dekoning

Is anyone storing and working with electrical program files (PLC, HMI, etc.) in EPDM? I think these should work just fine but would like to know before I have users potentially corrupting files somehow. Most of our programs are for Rockwell Automation/Allen-Bradley/Reliance. Any information would be appreciated.

Mike
      EPDM2011 SP2

• Re: Electrical Program Files
          Troy Peterson

We just take all the files and zip them into one zip file per board and checkin the zip file.

Todd Puckett

Hi Michael,

Our 6 electrical engineers use a wide variety of programing software and have not had any problems.  They mostly use Rockwell Automation, Siemens, Fanuc, and AutoCAD Electrical 2011.  They mentioned that the Rockwell software must have write access in order to open files, so they have to check out all the files even if they don't intend to make changes.  We have been using EPDM since 2002 and are currently at version 2011 SP2.

Todd

IT project manager

Michael Dekoning

Todd,

How do you handle the mdb files that AutoCAD Electrical uses to store component information? I'd love to put them in the vault for our engineers to share, but for some reason I recall being told that mdb files won't work properly. Of course, that was before SW allowed EPDM to manage Toolbox.

Mike

EPDM 2011 SP2

Todd Puckett

Michael,

Yes I remember that being a problem when we started using AutoCAD Electrical in 2008. I spoke with our electrical engineering manager and he said AutoCAD Electrical 2011 is working well with EPDM 2011. He mentioned the mdb file is created locally when you check out the project files. This requires the person working on the project to check out all files in the project before updating any drawings in the project and checking in all the files when someone else needs to make changes. I think this inconvenience exist regardless of EPDM.

Todd

EPDM 2011 SP2