Though I recommend it, you don't have to check in all the files.
Checking in the files gives you a safety net so that if something very bad happens during the upgrade you at least have all the latest and greatest versions all in one location and thus disaster recovery would be a bit easier.
Jeff Sweeney is correct. It's not required but recommended to have all objects checked in before an upgrade.
A good compromise that users should appreciate is as follows:
Email the users to "check-in" with the option "keep checked out" before the upgrade and then NOT DO ANY FURTHER WORK.
Warn them via a broadcast message and an email that all objects should be checked in or they run the risk of losing any changes.
Warn them that if their work is lost because they forgot to check-in then empathize with them and say it will be easier as you make the changes the next time.
What will normally happen? Nothing... The upgrade will go smoothly and end users can just continue working w/o having to get search find things and re-check out
If things go badly? You simple UNDO CHECKOUT as ADMIN after restoring things and send out an email, do to upgrade issues, we were forced to undo your checkouts, please recheckout your objects.
you will get a few users screaming bloody murder, that is the indication they didn't check in as clearly instructed via email and network broadcast message.
If you are really nice you can look at when the files was last checked in and find anyone who didn't check in recently before the updgrade and call them BEFORE you upgrade as a courtesy.
... also there is a bug about locking access to the vault you may want to look for. I normally don't lock the vault down on upgrade so it hasn't affected me.
Hope this helps. Jay
I'm sorry you are having trouble with the SP3.0 release.
For the check out prompts that keep appearing when opening large assembly (SPR 600222), have you tried disabling the prompt alltogether? If you go into the Enterprise PDM add-in options in the toolbar, there is a setting called "Show warning message if modifying checked in file" that you can disable. While it does not fix the problem in the SPR, it should at least ease your pain when opening those assemblies.
Tor Iveroth, Enterprise tech support.
Its always nice to hear from you Tor, that option does help.
I think I did not clearly communicate my frustration. I am frustrated because even service packs for EPM require a complete upgrade. This is distruptive and causes us to generally not apply them.
What I really want is a stream lined upgrade process at least for service packs. It would be really awesome of clients installs where self updating to newer SPs.
You are correct in stating that each upgrade including service packs are processed behind the scenes as an uninstall (leaving reg keys entacted) and then an install, where the install sees the existing reg keys and then processes it as an upgrade.
Your frustration on having to upgrade clients is common and more pervasive as you get into more seats. If you have a large install base, I would investigate methods on pushing the clients out automatically. I do consulting and don't usually have the time to hang around for this aspect, but do have customers that read the install guides and are successful at pushing out EPDM clients. This does require some work ahead of time and some effort of setting up test users and test databases to upgrade and make sure things are good before you pull the trigger at the company level.
If anyone reading this post has or is currently pushing clients feel free to chime in and either confirm or say I'm crazy ....
We have about 300(200 licenses) client installs, and have been using SEPDM since it was Conisio in 2005.
We have done many upgrades over the years with various methods of pushing out the install.
Generally we have about an 80% success with upgrading our clients. The other 20% fail for various reasons and end up needing manual intervention to get them up to date.
The back-end upgrades are not that bad except for the FileArchive upgrades. On our system this process can take many hours per archive server.. I did notice that for 2011 there was not File Archive upgrade so that was nice.
It is the client updates that are a pain and the testing but there is no easy way around the testing.