AnsweredAssumed Answered

can this b done in sollidworks?

Question asked by Bernada Eisenhower on Apr 5, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 by Michael Feeney

a friend and i plan to design and fabricate a sort of home radar/tracking system.the objective goes like this.there is a dark room and we are flying a remote controlled helicopter(a small one).it is desired that a radar/tracking system placed on the floor should track it,follow it and hit it with ping pong balls.now how to go about.we need to keeep this whole thing as simple as it could be.
we had an idea.make a hexagonal mirror drum.which rotates both in the vertical plane and the horizontal plane.360 degrees in the vertical and about 30-40 in the horizontal.rotation achieved by servo motors/stepper etc...we will position a laser beam and focus it on this rotating drum.this will scatter the laser rays in the whole room.any random ray striking the helicopter will illuminate it and a camera fitted on the rotating drum will lock the target,follow it.the rotation should stop now.and the feedback signal to a micro controller will  do the analysis and fire the balls.gear trains needed..calculation of gear ratios needed.etc.what do u say?how credibile is dis?.got any other idea.please help me with an embodiment.thank u.

the objective is not to strictly do this in a room.it is aimed to b done in an open sky..think of this system places on the ground..and above it(1 km)..in a balcony we fly a toy helicopter in any direction..this rotating head makes a three  dimensional or spatial region saturated with laser beams(all reflected)...when this copter enters this area...the beam or beamS strike...a spot occcurs..and a camera on the ground captures and locks this location/co ordinate and and now follows the copter where ever it goes.

hmmm ..one thing more...do u know any software/program which can make me a simulation of such a system..such dat i focus a laser beam(which is on the ground and the angle of elevation.say,30 degree) at the front face(say 6 in by 6 in) of the hexagonal head.now...i set the rotation at 1 degreee per step(using a stepper motor) ,anticlockwise(i want the laser lite to b reflected UPWARDS,skywards).so the front face rotates 1 degree anti....and so on..this software should draw/generate the whole reflected profile.ie. the region of sky illuminated by these reflected laser beams...
what do u think will b the effect if i increase the RPM,use a DC motor which rotates at a constant RPM(no steps),increase the number of faces.ie.take a decagonal drum,octagonal etc...?...

how can SOLIDworks help me?

please do c the attached file...it shows a plane mirror..v intend to use a polygon..a hexagon for dat purpose.or a decagon....

Attachments

Outcomes