2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2011 12:01 AM by David Paulson

propeller simulation help

Robert Dini

Hello,

I'm trying to do a flow simulation for a ducted propeller rotating in water (I need to find the thrust generated for a given rotational speed). Is there a way to include the rotation of the propeller in Flow Simulation or does it have to be fixed?

I would really appreciate any help.

-Robert

• Re: propeller simulation help
          David Paulson

Robert,

In Flow your propeller will stay "fixed", but you will insert a rotating region around it and give it the rotational value of your propeller.  Under the Flow Simulation Menu / Insert / Rotating Region.  You need to create a shape in your model to be the rotating region, in your case a cylinder that will be slightly larger than your propeller.

• Re: propeller simulation help
              Robert Dini

Im also trying to do a FEM analysis on the propeller, but I keep running into the same problem. In Simulation, I went to 'flow effects' and tried using my flow simulation results as an applied fluid pressure on the propeller. The fluid pressure shows in the my study tree, but when I run the solver I get the error 'no loads are applied to the model'. How might I fix this problem?

-Robert