AnsweredAssumed Answered

Glass appearance not as expected

Question asked by Ed Hawkins on Apr 1, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 by Ron Bates

In previous version of PV360 (i.e 2010) I have had great success with glass appearances and adjusting the levels on them. However, I have noticed in the newer version that there seems to be some issues.

The example I have put below is a watch, with a glass screen set about 1-2mm from the dial face. It seems that when anything with a glass appearance is set close to another part, that a "mottled" appearance results. This does seem to be the glass that is causing the problem, as if you remove the glass from the render, the underlying appearance renders normal.

I have spent a fair amount fo time adjusting the settings within the glass appearance, and even tried loading in a saved glass from a previous version. It makes no difference. The effect is reduced if you alter the distance between the two objects.

I wonder, has anybody else witnessed this at all. Example below:

watch face.JPG I'm hoping the problem comes across on this image, the easiest way I can describe this is that it sort of looks like a cloud type "texture" is appearing on the watch face. You can see it a bit more on the yellow dial. If the glass is removed, this effect does not happen.

has anybody got any ideas as to what is causing this?

Cheers, Ed

Outcomes