AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need help speeding up load times for assemblies

Question asked by John Rajcic on Mar 30, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 by John Rajcic

After watching "massive assemblies, no sweat" on the solidworks website:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/resources/videos/choose-solidworks-series.htm

I think there must be something wrong with our assemblies, parts, hardware, or software.

In the video they are able to open an assembly with around 6,500 components in around 1:15 seconds.  When they use "large assembly mode" the same assembly opens in :20.

I have an assembly with 1,850 components that takes over 6:30 minutes to open in "large assembly mode".  This is just one example but most of our assemblies seem to take forever to open compared to the video and what I have been told solidworks is capable of.

We do keep all of our parts on the network, but, to eliminate that variable I have saved every detail part and assembly to my local machine.  I don't see any noticable difference between loading the parts off of the gigabit network or off of my local machine.

I have a Dell Precision T5500 running Windows 7 Professional x64

Solidworks 2011 x64 Sp3

12 GB RAM

Xeon x5677

We were using Solidworks 2006 forever and I finally convinced management to upgrade but the speed is not what I expected/promised.  We hardly notice any decrease in load/save times and a lot of the engineers claim the old version was faster.  I need to figure out what is causing this stuff to run so slowly.

Attachments

Outcomes