3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 3:44 PM by Scott McFadden

Inconsistency in dimensioning: jog points

Jeff Hamilton

This has probably been around for awhile, but I just noticed it today: You cannot add a jog point to a dimension attached to a 2D entity. It works fine if the dimension is to a 3D model entity, but not for a drawing sketch entity.

In this case it is a regular part drawing where there is an area specified to be clean and free from surface irregularities. A sketched circle identifies the size of the area. Dimensions were a bit cluttered and it would have been more legible with a different placement with a jog to clearly see the arrow placement. But it wasn't possible with a 2D sketched entity.

I did find two work arounds. Using a note driven by the dimension, and placing a sketch for the area within the 3D model itself. Buth will allow jog dimensions, but requires extra work to complete.

I do not believe that dimensioning options should be any different between 2D and 3d entities, unless it's something that just isn't possible to dimension. (I can't think of any examples.)

Any opinions?