3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 4:51 PM by Anthony Botting

Time history of reaction force available in SW?

Jay Liu

Hi Experts,

I got this specific question: I used nonlinear static SW simulation to simulate a part compressing another part with prescribed displacement. I am hopping to get the force, required force, for compression. Right now, I can list the reaction force specific to a time step and to a face. Can I get a force vs. time curve for a component? This is a very typical situation like a forging process - you want to deform the part in this matter and need to estimate the power needed to do so. This may be a simple questio, but couldn't find it myself

Thanks in advance,

Jay

• Re: Time history of reaction force available in SW?
          Anthony Botting

Hi Jay: I know it reports the values for all nodes on a selected entity, but not sure about a component. If you plot the reaction force at some time step through the displacement plot dialog, and then "probe" on an entity such as a face, hit the "graph with time" button and you get a graph with the values of every single node as a function of time. You could save that data and import the .csv to Excel and sum-up the values for all nodes across the face at each time step, then graph that in Excel. It's somewhat of a long way around but I have done that in earlier versions successfully.

Tony

Jay Liu

Tony,

Thanks a lot, and it worked. One more thing I learned is that the reaction force is hiden in displacement plot. I have been using "list reaction force" function. Yeah, I hope SW has a built-in function for that as I said originally it is a pretty common scenario.

Thanks a lot again,

Jay

Anthony Botting

You're welcome. I seem to recall that hidden reaction force in the displacment dialog is from original coding convention (I recall it there in old MODSTAR product). Anywhere the user puts-on a restraint, the software calculates a reaction to enforce the restraint. I suppose their reasoning is (was) that a "restraint" is a kind-of "displacement" (be it zero, or non-zero), hence they located the reaction listing or plotting in there, too.