4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 9:14 PM by Jerry Steiger

Sketch Relations Stopped Working (SW2009)

Dougal Hiscock

Sometime today my soildworks installation decided I didn't need sketch relations any-more.  I'm unable to add them to sketch entities.

Simple things like horizontal/vertical still exist and work, but selecting two arcs and tangent is not possible.  Nor is it possible to make a point coincident with a line, except for auto-relations, which sometimes work.  Everything had worked fine earlier in the same part, but now it doesn't work in sketches which did.

Model is attached, can someone else with SW2009 open it up and take a look.  The problem started with sketch 10 on extrude 14.  The problem has since regressed further up the design tree, sketch 9 on runner 1 worked fine originally but now doesn't.

Are there any settings I've inadvertently tripped?  I've restarted the computer twice with no change.

• Re: Sketch Relations Stopped Working (SW2009)
          Dougal Hiscock

Well how about that.  Solidworks had the grace to crash shortly after, the crash somehow sorted the problem and sketch relations started behaving again.

Strange how this software works.

• Re: Sketch Relations Stopped Working (SW2009)
              Jerry Steiger

Dougal,

My own take on this kind of behavior is that SW was getting its knickers in a twist and behaving bizarrely. If you had shut down and restarted SW at that point, or logged on and logged off, or rebooted, then SW would have returned to normal behavior. Since you didn't, SW just kept getting more and more bound up until it crashed. So, my first response to strange behavior in SW is to shut it down. Depending on how much memory I have been using, how long since the last reboot, and how bizarre the SW behavior was, I will either start SW up again immediately, log off and back on, or reboot.

I almost never check the box to restart SW after a crash; it was suggested by someone who seemed to know whereof he spoke that this could lead to a new crash more quickly as SW/Windows doesn't clean up after itself very well. The suggestion was to log off/on (quickest) or reboot (most thorough clean up) before restarting.

Jerry Steiger