5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 6:57 PM by Bonnie Caruthers

dwg template link to part units?

Bonnie Caruthers

we are redoing our drawing formats and pretty much have them ready to go but have a question that I have not found an answer to yet - maybe b/c it is not possible.

Some of our parts are created in mm and some in inches.  Our tolerances are called out in the title block and right now we have to change them according to the type of units used.  is there a way to link the units to the TB so they can be set to automatically change? with the drawing?  Am I asking too much here??

it would switch from this for mm

Capture3.JPG

to this if model is created in inches

W.JPG

• Re: dwg template link to part units?
          Wayne Tiffany

I can't think of an automatic method.  What I have done here is create a Metric sheet format and an English sheet format and then choose the proper one.

WT

Bonnie Caruthers

Hi Wayne,

That is what the plan is, but I figured I would ask here first just in case there was some way to do it.  Sure would be a nice feature, huh?  There are probably too many variables within company format layout to make it work.  I have such big dreams...;)

Ok, here's another one - can a block be save as anything other than a block?  We have both ProE and SW dwgs in place and have a logo change.  It's a SW block and I wanted to just transfer to ProE format.  I can save it in a dwg (SW) as a dxf then create as a symbol in Proe, which is what I may do unless there is a better way.  Maybe I should start a new thread unless this is a simple "no."

thanks!

Bonnie

Wayne Tiffany

As far as the auto tolerance stuff, you might be able to open a drawing, then run a macro that would look at the units of the imported model and then hide/replace/move to a layer/whatever the proper tolerance block per the units.  Would that be any better than what you already planned?

"...can a block be saved as anything other than a block?"

Not that I can see or think of.  Blocks are made up of stuff (lines, notes, etc.) and saving a block only looks like it will save it as a block - hmm, imagine that.  The best I can think of is explode it, save as dwg, rebuild in Pro, which is what you already stated.

WT

Bonnie Caruthers

Yes, "the plan" was to do just what you and Deepak suggested - have two sets of formats, one for metric, one for English, that is what I was trying to avoid and the chance of someone pulling up the wrong one.

As for the block, I was hoping you could save it as a jpg, tiff or something.  I have just recreated using dxf.   I guess I am always looking for shortcuts :-/

thanks

B

Deepak Gupta

Why can't you have two different drawings templates, one each for INCH and MM. And then based you your part units you can select the one.