9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 5:33 AM by Dougal Hiscock

Subscription for Simulation

Aaron Moncur

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a Simulation package, and was curious to hear what others have done as far as purchasing or not purchasing the subscription maintnenace.  I own Solidworks, and can see the value in having a subscritption that allows me to update to the newest release of SW, since my customers often update and I need to be on the same release as them to be a viable partner and keep their business.  For simulation work, however, I would not be trading files back and forth.  All simulation work, I expect, would be done on my end and the actual simulation files would stay with me (they'd just get a report).  That being the case, what is the value (other than perhaps enhanced features with new releases) of purchasing the subscription plan?  Are many of you simulation users on the subscription plan?  Are many of you not?

• Re: Subscription for Simulation
          John Sutherland

Have you enquired about the cost of subscription?

It seems proportional to the purchase price, not to the value of the new bells and whistles.

I don't subscribe because it will take me several years to explore what I bought, so bells and whistles seem irrelevant.

However I don't have to worry about synchronising with others.

Aaron Moncur

John,

Thanks for the response.  To be clear, I only have to synchronize SW files, and what I'm saying is I would not need to synchronize simulation files, so the sub may not be needed.  I have looked into the sub cost and you're right, it is proportional to the purchase price (i.e. $$$!!  ... moreso than any of the SW versions).  Since the sub is so expensive, and I don't see the need to synchronize files with other companies, the only reason for the sub would be support and upgrading the new bells and whistles they include on future versions.  The support might be handy every once and a while, but I imagine I can live without the newest bells and whistles.  So, I'm thinking the infrequent need for support is probably not worth the sub price.  Just curious to see what others have done.  If many others have simply purchased the software but not the sub and had success in doing so, I'd love to hear it.  Alternatively, if others have found the sub to be critical to their success, I'd love to hear this, as well.

Keith Parker

Aaron - Here's a question...

If you have, say, Simulation 2010 as a 'separate' package Add-In to Solidworks 2010 I can see you having a joyous (-ish) time with your analysis package.  What happens when you update to SW2011/12/13/etc?  Will the Simulation 2010 Add-In, that you don't want to pay update costs for, still work with 2011/etc files?  I'm not sure it will, but I'm sure others (& your VAR) can put me right.  If you're on basic SW, depending on what simulation you're intending to do, have you considered upping to Premium - it has Linear Static & Motion (& a higher-than-basic SW update cost)?

Keith

Aaron Moncur

Keith,

That is a superb question, and one I had not thought of.  Thank you for bringing it up.  I'll look into this.

Also, I have considered the Premium package, my beef with that is I really don't need any of the other extras that come with premium, and feel like I'd be paying a lot for features I don't want or need (except the simulation component, of course).  For that reason, I think the actual simulation package would be a better fit.  But if it isn't compatible with future SW editions that might be a deal breaker.  Anyone have an answer for that?

Wayne Matus

I am pretty sure that the installation manager will not let you install Simulation 2010 with SolidWorks 2011.

Aaron Moncur

But if I install Simulation 2011 now, will it still work when I upgrade to SW 2012?

Wayne Matus

I do not think so, but they may change the software to allow it. Several years ago before the Installation Manager, you could run different versions, but not today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Keith Parker

Aaron - In the good old days when you could run DesignStar stand-alone, you could import parasolids, etc and set up your simulation with anything.  Now that everything is integrated into a parent package, I reckon you're  almost totally prevented running any software that takes native files because of SW version issues.  That's one reason why I hate integrated packages like SW Simulation.  Also bear in mind that your SW PC will be tied up with running simulation so you sort-of can't do modelling work.  I say 'sort-of' because Simulation still runs Star.exe separately so you can actually model a new part while it runs analysis on your current model (actually haven't tried this yet in 2011, I'm basing this on 2010).  However, most of the time you wouldn't want to risk doing that.

Get a definitive answer about SW-version & Simulation compatibility from your VAR before going any further.  Unfortunately, I don't think you'll hear good news.  Oh yes, another thing, if/when you start running Simulation, try to do all your analysis on local drives as there are a shed-load of file read/write operations that can get really slowed down over a network (especially if you use NAS drives).

Oh dear - looks like a minor rant!

Cheers, Keith.