15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 1:20 AM by Niels Harkes

Spaceball 5000

Nick Machoukas

Hello,

I have just installed SolidWorks 2011 and have been using a SpaceBall 5000 USB for several years now. I have the 3D motion capability working, but the button mapping does not seem to function. Has anyone had any luck getting this to work, and if so, how did you manage it? Thanks

Nick

• Re: Spaceball 5000
          Scott Harms

We have the exact same scenerio here, and just upgraded to 2011 last week  to find our spaceball's not working correctly.  This is a pretty big deal for us, because we have all come to love these.  I don't like the current models at all, and am now going to be on the hunt for a driver that can make this work again.  Does anyone know if something like this exists?

Tom Helsley

Do the buttons work at all?  If they do, then have you tried doing the button mapping via the control panel, for the SolidWorks application, instead of through the addin interface? 

If that doesn't work, or that's not the problem you are having, then it could be this...

I have (my company has)  the Spaceball 5000 serial.  Several years ago, it stopped working with SolidWorks.  The solution was to install the the last version of the drivers that supports the Spaceball 5000.  Then install the latest version of the SolidWorks addin.  Since then, I've tried some of the newer addins, and lost the buttons.  That version was the first one that automatically picked the center of rotation (3Dcontrol addin V2.16.0).

You might try installing one of the older versions of the addin to get the buttons back.  I believe V2.16.0 of the 3Dcontrol addin was part of the 3DxSoftware Installer version 3.9.0.  So, anything older than that should get your buttons back.

Scott Harms

When we upgraded to 2011, we lost the button mapping ability of our spaceball on some systems regardless of where you do it - but the ball itself still rotates the part.  On some XP systems we seemed to be able to get by with an older driver to fix it, but on W7 systems we didn't have luck.  I already tried the older driver/newer addin as well on W7 systems with no luck.  Finally, on one system with both 2010 & 2011 installed, the buttons work in 2010 but not in 2011 even though the addin is present in it.

Button mapping is just as important to me as the Spaceball itself.  Additionally, I really do like the layout of the 4000-5000 series controllers, and really prefer the button layout to the companies current offerings.  Assuming that I have no choice but to upgrade, just to verify, on the SpacePilot/SpaceExplorer controllers:  Could someone please confirm that the existing buttons that are labeled with keyboard keys can be re-programmed easily to native SolidWorks commands on assembly/part/drawing specific basis (commands such as mate, measure, dimensioning types, etc.).  Before I purchase anything I just want to make sure.

Nick Machoukas

Thank you to everyone that replied to this post. It looks like I'll have to see about buying some new technology. Didn't want to spend the money, but productivity is king, right? Thanks again.

Keith Parker

Nick - I'm using Spaceball 5000 USB on Win7 x64 with SW2011 and although I've not got all the button mapping I used to have (think it was 2010 that the full mapping stopped being available?), some of them still work.  I too don't want to part with mine or pay for something new I don't think I need!  My 'About' from the 3DControl toolbar in SW2011 says I'm using Version 2.11.0 dated 26 Sept 2007 and I think the backup download I've got (3DxSoftware_v3-6-7.exe) is the right one if you want a copy (anyone confirm this?).

Also I've always found 3D-Connexion support (this was European support direct to 3D-C in Germany) to be very helpful.  Someone I used to work with had a similar issue a couple of years ago & they sent him a couple of drivers to try.

Keith

Dan Zimet

Holy s*** Nick! How's it going??

I am having the same problem and I just noticed your name.

Are you still in Cleveland? Any word from Mark, Mike, or Rob?

Anyways, did you ever get your Spaceball 5000 to work? Or did you have to bite the bullet and get a new model?

I'm running XP 32 bit (on a 64 bit machine) with Solidworks 2011.

Nick Machoukas

Hey Dan,

I'm doing well. How about you? I'm still in Cleveland, working at a place called Pressco in Solon. How about you? I thought I heard that you moved out to California. I haven't heard from any of those guys. I'll occasionally see Greg or get an e-mail from Kevin Alexeff, but nothing from them. How about you, have you talked to anyone lately?

As far as the Spaceball, I never got it to work completely. I've since become the group leader of my department, so now I do a lot less in SolidWorks, so I've not bothered to replace it, though not for lack of wanting to. I just couldn't justify the additional expense for using SolidWorks 1 or 2 times a week. I'm assuming you have it working the same way, where you can rotate the part with it, but not use the button functions? Good luck, and let me know what you find.

Good to hear from you.

Nick

Frank Krockenberger

FYI,

If you register your SB 5000 with 3dconn... you will recieve a coupon code for $100 off some of their models.

Frank

Mark Hemingway

Just found a solution to this ;-)

You need to download driver version 3.6.11

I have just done this and can confirm all the button mapping works ( I can now map the keyboard control button to button B). Running SolidWorks 2012 SP4 on Win 7 64 bit.

Search for the driver or download it here: http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=23558

Let me know if it solves the problem.