2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 2:08 PM by Christopher Thompson

Import a 3D PDF into SolidWorks (2010)?

Christopher Thompson

Is it possible to import a 3D PDF file into SolidWorks (SW 2010)? I have tried using ScanTo3D add-in (part of SW Premium), and cannot import or extract the data from a 3D PDF into SW. If you know of a method, please post the link to it.

I have requested the files be sent to me either as a Parasolid (*.x_t), STEP, or IGES. At this time, I do not know the CAD format used to create these files. I also have Pro/Engineer Wildfire 3.0, but could not import the 3D PDF into Pro-E unless there is a setting I am overlooking. I am guessing these files could have come from a later version of Pro-E (Wildfire 5.0 or Creo elements / Pro) and exported as a 3D PDF.

• Re: Import a 3D PDF into SolidWorks (2010)?
          Charles Culp

ScanTo3D will not give you good results, as it only works with point cloud data.

The best method is to use Adobe Acrobat Professional Extended version 9. Version 10 no longer supports exporting CAD data. Then, from within Acrobat, you can export to a native SolidWorks file.

Maybe there is a freelance consultant out there who has Acrobat Pro Extended 9 and could do it for you?

• Re: Import a 3D PDF into SolidWorks (2010)?
              Christopher Thompson

Thanks for the reply. I have requested the files be sent to me as either native CAD file formats (SolidWorks 2010 or Pro-E WF 3.0), or as a Parasolid, STEP, or IGES. There is simply no good reason to send those files to me as a 3D PDF other than for viewing only (I prefer eDrawing).

Appian Way Technologies

www.appianwaytech.com

Update: It seems that the files where originally created by AutoCAD Inventor 11 which of course cannot be imported into SolidWorks or Pro-E.

Message was edited by: Christopher Thompson