AnsweredAssumed Answered

Top level revision counter - how to stop for a small change.

Question asked by Joseph Ankers on Mar 16, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 by Joseph Ankers

Ok so i'm in the final stages of setting up our company WPDM system.

Historically The company has worked, on the following basis for top level revision change.

if the part or sub assembly can retro fit with no implications of previous revision then the top level revision does not increase.

This is mainly due to our products continuing to develop almost constantly and within a year we would probably have made 40 little changes.. (the part revision would go up).

however  in PDM it seems that to get the Top level assembly to update i have to check it out update it and save it. thus bumping the Revision up. and i guess the same is applicable for a sub assembly so for example

Top level (REV 05)

Sub asm(REV 03)

Part (REV 01)

If i change the Part to (Rev 02) i want the Sub assembly and Top level to stay the same.

If anyone knows how to get this to work some information would be great.

Thanks Joe

Edit Just to add this is coverd in Administration bible 2010.

"Let’s say you have an assembly at Revision A, all the parts are initially at Revision A, and the assembly
drawing and all part drawings are also at Revision A. Then you make a change to one of the
parts that requires it to go to Revision B. Does your assembly also go to Revision B at this point?
What about your part drawing and assembly drawing?

Your assembly should not change revision level if the only change is the revision level of a part. An
assembly revision-worthy change to a SolidWorks assembly document would be removing or adding
a part, changing an assembly feature, or possibly changing mates"

But it does not cover how to achive this in pdm

Outcomes