3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 6:44 PM by Matthew Lorono

DB Works to Enterprise PDM Migration

Karl Browne

My company is currently thinking of changing from DB Works to Enterprise PDM. Could someone offer any advice as to what is the best way to go about it.

Our current DB Works Database is in a real mess as it was never managed correctly from the start, is it best to start again from scratch i.e. re-saving all parts into a new file structure before we move to Enterprise. I really want to get this right so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Would it be better to migrate to Workgroup PDM first as this seems easier to use and as it is built into Solidworks Professional it is effectivley free for us.

Thanks in adavance

Karl

• Re: DB Works to Enterprise PDM Migration
          Matthew Lorono

If you go to Workgroup PDM, only do so if you intend to use it for some time.  There's not much value in going to WPDM and then immediately going to another PDM (EPDM or otherwise).  Workgroup PDM is a good application for fundamental systems that don't require workflows.

My advice is to install a test server (maybe on one of your local machines) to try out Workgroup PDM to see how you like it.  Go ahead and spend the money to get your admin trained (even if you don't eventually use WPDM, the cost of training is very minor compared to the cost of a higher level PDM install such as EPDM, so it's worth the minor risk).  If you like it, then make a plan to implement it and migrate your data to it.  I don't recommend trying to bring over all the history.  Only bring the latest data over to your new vault.

Karl Browne

Matthew,

Many thanks for yoru response it is very much appreciated.

I am think we will be using it for at least 2 years so I think it will be worth the change as it will introduce control paths to the staff slowly rather than with Enterprise.

I have been looking on the internet about how to setup workgroup and it does seem quite simple. I notice during the install a file directory is setup called vaultdata, is this where all the files have to be stored or is it just where all the file locations and workgroup information is stored.

Is there any particular filing structure that is required to maximise performance of workgroup. I am basically setting up our filing structure to refelct our stock system setup as this will make it clearer to anybody who needs to use the software, is this a good idea?

I will be setting up Workgroup PDM on my local machine with Solidworks 2011 so that I can run trials and get used to the way the software operates before rolling it out to the rest of the company. Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Thanks again for your response it is very much appreciated.

Karl

Matthew Lorono

That's a lot of questions.  One more question, and you have to send me a 1099 as a consultant.

Vaultdata is where the files and information is started.  This folder is wholly contained.  This means that if you move your vault to a new server that runs WPDM, you'd only need to copy that folder over the new location in order to move your vault.  (It's a little more complex than that, but it is very easy to move your vault around, not that I'd recommend doing that unless absolutely necessary).

Vault structure is up to you.  Many people do it by product.  Others do it by release level.  At me company, we successfully do by commodity codes (sound like similar to wht you want to do with stock system).  Word of caution.  The more files crammed into one project folder, the slower your vault.  However, if you have up to date hardware, I don't see much problems in this regard.

To set up your vault on your own machine, you'll need to point your admin tool and add-in to "localhost".  Otherwise, use the system name of the computer.

Matt Lorono

sw.fcsuper.com

SolidWorks Legion

Follow me on Twitter