7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2011 12:05 PM by Wayne Matus

Move to specific state from anywhere?

Ross Bulkley

Does anybody know of a way to move something into a specific state no matter what state or workflow it is in? (Without making A LOT of transitions from every possible state).

For Example: I need a part to go under ECO at any point in any workflow and don't want to make a transition to the ECO workflow/state from every state it could possibly be in.

• Re: Move to specific state from anywhere?
          Raghavendra Bhagavan.S.M

Hello Ross !

There is no way you can accomplish this with out using the transitions.

My request you to is explain why would you need this ? Just for the benefit of my understanding.

BTW: Have you tried linking the various workflows ?

Cheers !
          Raghu.

Ross Bulkley

I didn't think there was.

There are a few different things I would use it for.

One example would be: I have a "Project Killed" State and a project can be killed at any point in the project's lifecycle, so I would want to be able to move a project to "Project Killed" from any of the ~40 different states it could be in when it gets killed, but without having to make 40 transitions all to the "Project Killed" state.

How is that for a run on sentence.

Corey Vantilborg

Ross Bulkley wrote:

One example would be: I have a "Project Killed" State and a project can be killed at any point in the project's lifecycle, so I would want to be able to move a project to "Project Killed" from any of the ~40 different states it could be in when it gets killed, but without having to make 40 transitions all to the "Project Killed" state.

Even using the API you need to define the transitions before you can change states.  I think is because SEPDM is strict in it's definitions by design.  Without having a transition Enterprise doesn't know how to move from state to another, mostly in regards with what to do with the revision.

I very much feel for you with 40 states.  Trying to use workflow editor with that many states must be trying.  It kind of exposes the weaknesses of that editor.

If you don't mind answering, why do you have 40 states? That seems excessive for a single workflow.

We probably have that many states in total, but spead around 5 or 6 workflows, with connectors between them. Which means  there are some states that you can't get to with a single transition but you could with a few hops.

Regards,

Corey Vantilborg

Tigercat Industries

Ross Bulkley

Corey Vantilborg wrote:

If you don't mind answering, why do you have 40 states? That seems excessive for a single workflow.

We probably have that many states in total, but spead around 5 or 6 workflows, with connectors between them. Which means  there are some states that you can't get to with a single transition but you could with a few hops.

Those 40 states are indeed spread over multiple workflows. I can't imagine trying to manage a single workflow with the workflow editor with that many states without going insane. I was just hoping there might a way to add something to your right click menu (dispatch/API/etc..) where you could just right click - kill project, and have it move to that state. And, as you said, it looks like even using the API I would still have to define each transition, so I would still have to have all those transitions.

Wayne Matus

Why not use folders to control permissions for this? Create a "Killed Projects" folder with limited permissions. Move projects to this folder rather than moving them to a "KIlled Projects" state.

Ross Bulkley

Not a bad idea, although if I did a search for everything in a certain state, let's say a "needs approval" state, I would get results back that would contain possible killed projects. This is one of the reasons I need to move them to a different "killed" state.

Wayne Matus

Yes, I knew that was one issue with my solution. One possible solution to that would be to reorganize your folder structure. At the root level have to folders, "Active Projects? and "Killed Projects". Then when you run your searches, start in the "Active Projects" folder. I will caution you, if you already have many files and folders in your vault, you will lock it up when you move your current folder structure into the "Active Projects" folder. Would be safest to do over a weekend when all files are checked in and no one is working in the vault.