51 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 6:55 AM by Mike Sveda

Weldment Cut List Items in a BOM

Jeff Sweeney

Any EPDM users treat weldment cut list items as BOM items? i.e. the cut list items are purchased/manufactured and entered into your ERP as unique items?

As far as I can tell, there is no way to get cut list items to be treated by EPDM as BOM parts. ??? I cannot get them into the BOM, I cannot even get a drawing's weldment cut list table to appear in the BOM tab's drop list. Cut list items don't appear in the BOM tab anywhere.

So if you do treat cut list items as BOM items, how do you get your cut list items exported to your ERP?

• Re: Weldment Cut List Items in a BOM
          Terry Raymond

Ugh I was wondering about that. We are leaning towards epdm, but we also use a lot of weldments... hmm.  I can't help but am very interested in what you might figure out.

Fraser Kiddle

What ERP system are you using? Does it sync data with Solidworks?

Phillip Edwards

We were using Questica I has a Solidwork interface but it will not import weldments. We now use MAS200 it has no Solidworks interface at all.

Daen Hendrickson

@Phillip,

Not trying to hijack this thread, but curious about your opinion of SW playing nicely with MAS200 in general. We have MAS200 sitting on the shelf. I am campaigning to get it up and running based on the idea "something" must be better than the nothing we currently have. The local MAS/Sage resellers have smiled and said they can write something to import the SW info. I have seen that smile before!

So I am just looking for a bit of an overview opinion - something I can go to my management with as a "real world" data point. Either "other have installed MAS200 to work with SW and it was a disaster" or "some folks have had decent luck after writing some custom interface stuff."

Thanks, Daen

Jesse Seger

I have the same frustration.  Cutlist items should be unique items and treated like a BOM.  I will be working on this more in the near future.

Samu Niveri

CustomWorks could maybe do this and SPN-Tools does it for sure.

Joy Garon

Hi Jeff -

Are you trying to expand the part (containing the cutlist) within the assembly BOM?

(ie: the same thing you would see when displaying the Weldment cutlist?)

Joy

Phillip Edwards

No there is no way that I have found.

If you XML out a standard assembly you will get a file that lists the assembly variables and its parts with its variables.

When you do the same with a weldment you will only get the weldment part file variables.

Jeff Sweeney

I think I'm going to write my own...since you really cannot get to the cut list information through the EPDM API, my current plan is to use the SolidWorkd Document manager's API.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Lee CS Young

Couldn't you query the database directly? I know, I know... it's not built in...

Christina Seay

I'm having this same problem.  We treat CutList items as regular Bom Items too and I'm trying to get to the CutList BOM via .NET API.  I can get to the regular BOM, but it just doesn't seem to see the Cut List BOM. 

Have you had any luck with this one?

Phillip Edwards

I dont think that the cut list BOM is in the data base. The cut list is pulled from the part file like a cut list for a drawing.

My guess is that you would have to have a API that would look for the weldment switch and join the parent part data and cutlist CSV in one XML. Are you exporting your BOMs to your ERP software?

Christina Seay

Yeah... I'm exporting to my ERP software, but not with XML files currently.  Our ERP system doesn't have a good method if reading the XML data in.  Currently, I'm running a .Net program on the Solidworks files to build the BOMs and then sending them to the ERP system that way, but its slow and clunky that way.  I was looking at reading the BOMs and cut list BOMs from EPDM.  I could read the XML files as well though I suppose if the can be exported by EPDM.

Phillip Edwards

You can only use the XML data for drawing data and assembly BOMs it will not work for weldment cut lists.

You will have to use two API paths that is why I mentioned looking for the weldment switch in the solidworks file if its a weldment pull the cutlist data from the file, if not then get your data from the EPDM data base.

Which ERP software are you using and does it support a attribute XML import? If so you can setup a XML out in you work flow.

I have one for Items "parts" and one for BOMs "assemblies".

What you do from there depends on what you ERP software can import.

Christina Seay

Our ERP software doesn't support XML import of any kind.  Right now our options are either having to enter the BOMs manually into the ERP software, or we have to do what I'm doing now and get the data from somewhere (EPDM, SolidWorks, XML, CSV, anything) and then I read the data with a vb.net program and using the ERP system's .dlls as references, I can create the BOM programmatically in it.

So far, reading the weldment cut list data from SolidWorks isn't working 100% either... I can read everythinig out except for the quantity of each cut list item used in the weldment.  And what I can read is unexplainably buggy.

I was hoping to address this by reading the Cutlist from EPDM since it has the right data.

Phillip Edwards

Are you reading the data from EPDM or from Solidworks? EPDM lists material type & totals while Solidworks lists material type, length & qty. Both only export as CSV with no parent header

Have you talked to spisupport @solidworks.com

Christina Seay

Currently, I'm reading from SolidWorks.  I have one program that runs on the Assembly files, another one for Part files and another one for Weldment files.  I'm not exporting the data from SolidWorks, I'm looping through the SolidWorks tree and reading properties that have the data I need for the BOM.  When I'm doing this, I can find the cut list items and read their properties, but I can't get quantity of each item.

I'm wanting to do something similar, but with EPDM.  I was hoping to read through the EPDM BOM and get the data I need that way, but the BOM mgr interface doesn't expose the Cutlist BOM.

Our ERP company is working on improving their solution for reading in XML files without all this muss and fuss... but it's not there yet.  So if I could find a way to get EPDM to export out the data I need into XML, I could read those instead of SolidWorks or EPDM and then when our ERP gets their side of things working, my custom programming can just graciously bow out and let their stuff take over.  So I'm open to that option as well... but it doesn't appear to like exporting Cutlist into XML data either.

Phillip Edwards

No it does not export Cut list items in a XML and I have'nt found a way around it yet. My next option is to query the SQL database that EPDM sits on, I dont know if I can pull the cutlist item from there. I have other things to do before I get to that.

I wish I could help more, I am fitting the same battle. Once I take a look at the epdm tables in SQL I will know more.

Christina Seay

We have an independent consultant on site right now for this stuff.  According to her... she got it to export to the weldment cut lists into an XML file.  I'm not sure how... and it was something she was looking at a couple months ago and has since deleted from EPDM and the workflows... but she's going to see if she can set that up again.  I can't query the SQL database directly here... IT locks that thing down pretty good and I can't get any of the connection data for it.  So if I find out anything else on my end with XML stuff, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Wayne Matus

It looks like that info is stored in both the XRefs and Documents tables. The cutlist items (Solid Bodies) are stored in the Documents table like all files. The XRefs table will tell you what Solid Bodies documents are used for what weldment part file and how many are required.

Forgot to mention also need the VariableValue table to get columns for cutlist table Description, Length, etc.).

Man, this is ugly!

Christina Seay

Ok... I have a 'sort of' update on this one.  Our var told us about SPR # 528226.  "It should be possible to export Weldment BOM and cut list to XML file (Data export rule)."  It has a Target Fix Date of High.  He's submitting a business case on our behalf and adding us to the SPR.

Our consultant said that cut list items can be exported with the CADBOM XML export from a drawing (not the part file).  I'm testing this now while she's out of town for 2 weeks... and I can't get it working to export the CADBOM at all.  If I can figure out what I'm doing wrong on the export rule, then I can test this out, but I figured I'd update everyone following this here.  I'll post back if I figure it out...

Wayne Matus

Has anyone checked with tech support as to why the API method IEdmBomMgr::GetBomLayouts will only return Bill of Materials view layouts of types "Bill of Materials" and "Item BOM". It will not return types "Weldment Cutlist" or "Weldment BOM". Its as if Weldments do not exist in the API.

Looks like SQL is the only way to get them.

Phillip Edwards

Thank you Wayne,

I know its not easy but as long as its in SQL a query can be writen to read the tables and place the cut list into the a temp. table. The items on that table can then be writen to a computed BOM in EPDM as child rows. Now we have stand alone cut list BOM file in the vault. This is going to have to be a EPDM addin.

I ran a xml export for named BOMs and it gave me a XML file with parent part infomation and cut list items.

You can also export the computed BOM as a CSV file with parent part infomation and cut list items.

A COMPUTED BOM does not update when a model is changed so you will have to do a compare BOM to check it.

Pulling the data from SQL will take some time to get right so we may start by making computed weldment boms manually.

Christina Seay

@Wayne... I haven't checked with TechSupport.  Honestly, I don't know who to talk to.  We have a VAR and we just got a new sales guy as our main contact.  Honestly, going through them and then to SolidWorks is usually more of a headache and slower than asking people that actually use the software in the forums.  Usually the answers I get back from them aren't worth the hassle anyway by the time I explain why I want to know something.

It seems like the IEdmBomMgr::GetBomLayouts should return ALL BOMs, but that doesn't appear to be the case from the testing that I've done.  No matter what I do, I can't get the Weldment BOM or Cutlist to show up.  It just gets passed right over.

@Phillip... The SQL method is definitely better than nothing.  Thank-you for giving so much detail on how to accomplish it.  I haven't tried it yet.  My fingers are still crossed that our consultant can do it with the XML exports and I'll get everything I need.  She's had issues getting the length of a cut list part to show in the EPDM cutlist BOM, but she thinks that's got something to do with EPDM still being on SP 1 and SolidWorks being on SP 3... so she's working with our IT department to get both up to SP 4.

Fingers crossed

Wayne Matus

Christina,

I did submit the problem through my VAR. I had also looked at 2012 Beta and it is not there either.

I thought I had something using "Items". It created a BOM like I think you want. The only issue is that I cannot get the length for the cutlist items to show. I used the same "BOM Quantity" that the Weldment Cutlist Bill of Material View Layout uses, but lentgh is blank on the Item BOM.

Item BOM.png

Christina Seay

That just surprises me that it wasn't there in the 2012 beta either!

I don't remember the exact SPR #... but our consultant was having this same issue with lengths, and there is a SPR about length and angle not working.

I started from a .NET application looping the SolidWorks tree and couldn't get the quantity of each cut list item doing that, but got everything else.  Then I looked at the XML and couldn't do that, so it had even crossed my mind to just have users save out a CSV files from the weldment BOM in EPDM and work from that.  I got the quantity of each item that way, but without the length, that wouldn't work either.

How does this 'normally' work in SolidWorks' mind.  Do cut list items just not need to be quantified in the ERP system?  Are they supposed to only exist in a cut list BOM on a drawing and never exist as 'parts' that have to have labor and material...?  I'm just confused as to what the thinking was behind NOT having this feature.

Wayne Matus

From API support team

Unfortunately there does not exist any API that can read weldment lists in EPDM. SPR 476624 has already been opened requesting for such an API. I am adding the SPR to this service request.

Phillip Edwards

Ok I have made some progress.

I can get a csv file with the weldment cutlist parts and there total qty.

If I am using 4 pieces of 2x2x.25 angle 18" lg I will get a listing of 2x2x.25 angle qty 72".

This is the way that my ERP system under stands it at the base level and then we have added to the ERP system to enter cut length and qty of cut parts for a cutlist report. So it makes sense to have a weldment BOM like this.

I still dont know what to do with the CSV file. I would have to add so much to it, I would rather enter the items by hand.

Terry Raymond

Here is the response from my VAR:

I inquired with SolidWorks regarding your request for the weldment cut list information. Here is their response.
                                                                    “Per SPR 528226_ Currently - data export rules only support SW BOM, Computed BOM and Named BOM.
                                                                    - It is not possible to export Weldment BOM or cut list.
                                                                    - There is no workaround either since you cannot save a weldment BOM to a named BOM
                                                                    I can confirm the customer has been added to notification list of SPR #454907. Both of You & Customer should receive automated e-mails as the SPRs are processed.”

At this point we have to wait for SolidWorks to develop this feature. They have it on their list it’s just a matter of when.

And I noticed SPR 337897, (which would solve all our problems?) is closed...

John Layne

When working as an independent contractor for 10 years, this problem came up quite often. Not related to EPDM as such just how to handle revision control of components in a Weldment and how to reuse componets in other weldments. A lot of the larger companies, I contracted to, would not use weldments at all due to this problem, they would only use assemblies.

Weldments have a lot of great functionality, the trim command automatically grouping like components to name a few, and when working for the companies that didn't allow them it was quite frustrating and time consuming to create weldments as assemblies. It would be a great enhancement if SolidWorks would allow the functionality of weldments to be recreated in an assembly. i.e you could create a layout sketch in the assembly and then create sub components this would solve the problem you are having and those that don't use EPDM.

Mike Sveda

Bringing back this old thread.  Has anyone figured out how to access the cutlist items by ruinning a SQL query into the tables?