16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 11:13 AM by Raja Desingu

Design Library did not load

Brian Kelly

I loaded my copy of SWon this machine a few weeks ago.  Everything seems to working fine except when I went to retrieve some items that I needed that are usually located in the design library I noticed that the library was not there.  The other things were there.....Toolbox, content Central, etc...but no design library.

How do can I get access to DL at this point?....please help.

• Re: Design Library did not load
          Deepak Gupta

Go to Tools > Options > File Locations  and set the folder location for Design Library. Once you set that, it'll automatically show up in the taskpane.

Brian Kelly

Deepak,

It does not show any files when I click on that.  Can I download from some source?

Deepak Gupta

Did you tried to add the location by clicking on add and then browsing to the design library location.

Brian Kelly

Yes,  but I cannot find the folder.  It should be under Program Files(x86)\Solidworks\data\Design Library.

I don't even have the Solidworks folder.  I have 2 others called "Solidowrks Corp" and "Solidworksx86".  All these have in them is language settings and folders for the free stuff like edrawings and explorer.  The data folder is completely no existent.

Let me know if have any ideas on this.....Sounds like I may have to call into tech support and get on the phone with someone.

Scott McFadden

Brian,

Can you find your design library folder location from your computer

in windows explorer?  If so set the path per what Deepak instructed you

in tools>options>system options>file locations to that folder.

Brian Kelly

I am pretty sure it is not there.  It does not come up in a search and it is not in the program files or app data folders where i would have expected it to be.

Is it possible for tech support to send the files to me?

Brian Kelly

I figured out that the design library folder was in a hidden file.  I changed the setting and found the folder and now I have the design library showing.

I consider this answered now.

Thanks

Scott McFadden

Very good Brian.

I am so glad you found it and solved this.  My next question was going

to be if there was a chance it was in youe Solidworks install folder

and got erased when you possibly uninstalled an older version.

My suggestion to you would be to place your design library folder on a network

location so it can be backed up.

Johnathon Green

hey brian, i am having the same problem on the 2011 student version i downloaded...im having problems saving forming tools to my design library...it isnt even giving me the option to save the part as a forming tool.  is there anyway you can expand on how you found the design library folder and how you got it to work on the task pane?  mine shows on the task pane, but i cant expand it or add folders or parts...every time i click on it is says something about it doesnt exist and do i want to erase it?

Brian Kelly

Johnathan,

It was a few months ago now...so bear with me here.  First thing that should be checked is if the student version has the complete library or not.  Seems sometimes SW excludes such things from discounted versions.

Basically, what I did was to use the search function on windows to find the folders and files by name.  If memory serves that was not even working at first because I discovered that all or part of the library ended up in a hidden folder somehow.  I would make sure that all the SW folders are unhidden then I would do a search for the folders in question.

Scott McFadden

Brian,

You also said you were going to be setting up a PDM system that would help with this.

How is that working out so far?

Brian Kelly

Yes, we have since implemented an EPDM system - Solidworks Enterprise.  It is working very very well so far.

In implementing the system however we opted to not to load a common library of mechanical parts.  Rather we have been uploading specific hardware models such as screws, nuts and bolts (and various off the shelf hardware) from such sites as McMaster-Carr (where we have been ordering most of our hardware - at least for this development phase) and other sources.  We have found the models from these sources easier to manage and somewhat more accurate to the actual parts.  The only downside of this is we occasionally duplicate parts - but we now circulate a list to avoid that as much as possible.

As I had alluded to in an earlier post, the orignal issue here - SW could not find the library - had more to do with some intermingling of folders from an earlier version that was already present on the machine (I never really ascertained how that intermingling could have ocurred - it does look like the user may have custom installed that version or had manually changed the locations of some of the library files).  Once I had modified the paths in "options" the new version of the software was able to see all the library files.

Raja Desingu

Thank you Brian ,i am also faced  the same problem .now i solved that using your advice@ Brian kelly