56 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2012 6:24 PM by Jerry Brian

pro engineer vs. solidworks

brocade gainz

so far, only on solidworks for about a year............

pro engineer destroys this software every wich way. i would like to know some more opinions by wich someone else has experience using both.

Well I can only speak for mold design. The surfacing sucks and is hard to dreate solids from surfs compared to pro engineer.

-the p/l feature is horrible and they should come up with concept that pro has

-configurations of parts are a joke and should have family table for features instead, much simplier and faster.

-why do assemblies references get suppressed in the middle of working?

-i mean after using pro for over 10 years why would anyone who wants speed, stability, and manufacturability spend money on this?

Pro vs. solidworks is like driving a yugo compared to a merecedes.

Any comments-

And every time a ask a question on a forrum i am answered with a solution to try to do something else than what I am accomplishing!

Either I talk my current employer into pro or time to find a new job!

chicagodesigngroup

• Re: pro engineer vs. solidworks
          Adrian Velazquez

brocade gainz wrote:

so far, only on solidworks for about a year............

pro engineer destroys this software every wich way. i would like to know some more opinions by wich someone else has experience using both.

Well I can only speak for mold design. The surfacing sucks and is hard to dreate solids from surfs compared to pro engineer.

-configurations of parts are a joke and should have family table for features instead, much simplier and faster.

-i mean after using pro for over 10 years why would anyone who wants speed, stability, and manufacturability spend money on this?

Any comments-

And every time a ask a question on a forrum i am answered with a solution to try to do something else than what I am accomplishing!

chicagodesigngroup

Was this a question?

I can't speak for Mold Features but configuration and assemblies work very nice for us, we release Machines (Models and Drawings) in minutes by entering just a few parameters.

Rick McWilliams

Please show some simple examples where pro E does very well for you.  Maybe some of us can reply with a comparable part.

I get good results with Solidworks. I do a lot of surfacing. The weak spot is curves projected on surfaces and surfact trims flipping.  I am getting tired of the geometry bugs that never get fixed. Please let me know the size files for any part that you might show. I am bugged that Solidworks files are about 1200 times bigger than necessary.

Mark Biasotti

Hi Rick,

I notice from your profile that you are on SW2007. There was a Microsoft related issue with SW file size that has since been fix but you should be able to have it too in 2007 with a patch from MicroSoft. do a search on this in the forum and you should find it.

Regards

Mark

Rick McWilliams

The Macro SPR341510 helps avoid the doubling growth of Solidworks 2007 files.  After application of the macro the files are still very oversize but about the same size as past versions. The file size could easily be 1200X smaller. 

I will upgrade to SW2011 today if the file sizes 100X smaller for SW2011 than SW2007. I have left a factor of 12 on the table.

Mark Biasotti

Hi Brocade,

Have  you had any formal SW training from your VAR on advanced part modeling or Advance surface modeling courses?  I used ProE version 14 thru WF1 for approximately 8 years to do advanced surface models in ProE for my previous company IDEO. I have since stayed relatively current with their (PTC) upgrades but no where current as I use to be, but I think I can speak to your issues for both. Can you be more specific in your issues?

BTW, from 2004 to 2009, I'm the Product Manager for SW that is responsible for the advance modeling (curve and surface functionality) you see in the product today. I was not the PM for mold functionality thou.

Regards

Mark

brocade gainz

See what I mean everyone, It's not my fault! Wow, just be honest and say we are a simplified cad so simpletins can take us out the package and spin models.

And I will tell you another thing, these forrums are filled with people with the correct intentions but the wrong knowledge, If you ask a ? at ptc's site you actually get a educated response, not maybe if you explain more B.S.

Steve Calvert

Brocade, I was looking through your original post again and wanted to make sure I read what questions you were asking.  We all have opinions about what works better and what features we'd like to see in SW.  I for one would love to have some of the draft features that I liked in Pro/E inside SW.  But having said this, I stll believe that SW is better, IMHO.  Most people here would like to help out and you'll usually get answers, sometimes you may not like them but answers they are.  What are you trying to accomplish?

To be truthful, I'm not a 100% sure what you're asking here.  Can you be a little more specific?

I suppose this is more an opinion than an actual question but a valid one none the less.  I found that Wildfire crashed more often than SW did and the moeny spent on SW vs. Wildfire was money well spent (again IMHO).

This is not a question, per se, but it can be discussed.  Simple configurations are really easy and if you want to employ a "Design Table" for more complex configurations you can use that method as well.  I believe that Pro only allowed one method.

Mark Biasotti asked a simple question to you about having any kind of training and you chewed him out.  I think it was a very good question because my "Basic" class way back in SW2005 covered 'Configurations' both simple and using a design table.  If you had training I suspect you would have known this.  Have you gone through the tutorials in SW?  There's a Design Table tutorial there.

Look, bottom line here is that we all want to help out because when we do we usually learn but you also need to show a little tact and find a way to ask a question without causing some much turmoil.

Steve

"so far, only on solidworks for about a year............

Any comments-

And every time a ask a question on a forrum i am answered with a solution to try to do something else than what I am accomplishing!"

Walter Fetsch

One of the important lessons that I've learned in life is this:

If you find yourself compelled to insult someone's intelligence, it's a really good idea to master the skills of grade school first, like spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Jerry Brian

Walter Fetsch wrote:

One of the important lessons that I've learned in life is this:

If you find yourself compelled to insult someone's intelligence, it's a really good idea to master the skills of grade school first, like spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

wurd                  

Philip English

Hi Brocade,

Obviously this is a very opinionated thread that you have started, and in my opinion, SolidWorks is more user friendly that ProE.

I used ProE at uni for 4 years. This is what we were taught to use. SolidWorks was also available, but having been taught ProE thats what I stuck with throughout my course.

I now use SW at work, and having completed the advanced part and assembly courses, and using the software for 4 months, I can honestly say, that for what I'm using the software for, SW is far easier and faster to use.

The SW interface is much easier on the eye aswell when working for long hours, also far easier to customise than the bland gray background in ProE which I got sick and tired of going into the menu option to change to a bluish colour everytime I used the software (with it being uni computers I was unable to customise and save the background colour), where as it can be changed in two mouse clicks in SW.

When I first started using SW, I thought it was very cartoony (if you understand what I mean), but now I personally prefer how it looks.

Yes ProE is more powerful, but, did you use every function that it offered?

As someone else has highlighted, you used ProE for 10 years, and have used SW for little over a year. Give SW a chance and attend some training courses, that might change your opinion on the software.

When I first sat and played with SW 4 months ago I prefered ProE cause thats all I had known for the previous 4 years, but now, SW all the way.

As for your comment on people trying to help you on the forum by giving you possible solutions to a problem you may have... you're obviously very ungrateful, people have gone out their way in their own time to offer you a potential solution. If they can't offer a solution, then maybe, as I've already mentioned, you attend some training courses, or are you too much of a CAD god and feel far too superior to need to attend such courses? And failing that, speak to your VAR as they should offer a solution to a problem that you may have in SW but obviously wouldn't ever succumb to in ProE.

Thats my 2p anyway.

Phil.

brocade gainz

change the backround color? wow, if you could not figure that out in pro/e AFTER 10YEARS then I guess thats why you use solid works.

ENOUGH SAID

Go back to your simple life.

As far as being grateful, half of the replies are from solidworks employed goones, hell you may be one yourself.

As far as I am concerned they should be grateful I am using their software, (hopefully not much longer). So grateful I am not, i am grateful I can read these lines, am healthy, and my family is in good health. But as far as being greatful for these goones that have not given me a single piece of useful @#$* , not I.

Steve Ostrovsky

Funny, you ask a question get some answers and then insult those who answer you. I would clean up your repsonses and have some respect for those who want to engage you here. That way, I guarantee you will have good discussion on any topic. Insulting those who respond will get you nothing but silence in the end.

Philip English

Hello Brocade,

Obviously you can not read. YOU have used ProE for 10 years, I used it on off whilst at uni for 4 years (2-3 hours a week).

I do know how to change the background colour, but found it boring every time, I never once mentioned that I couldn't figure out how to do it, as it is simple, just not as quick as in SolidWorks.

I believe you should read peoples replies with a bit more concentration as you might see people have given you a perfect solution to your problems before, but you obviously haven't taken enough care to actually read it properly, or is that too hard for you to keep your little mind wandering off?!

ENOUGH SAID.

As for a simple life, maybe I do have a simple life, maybe not, but what has it to do with you wanting to compare ProE to SolidWorks? I suggest you stick to your tedious thread post.

Again, your comment about peoples replies... If you believe you're going to recieve a poor answer to the questions you have because you are obviously struggling (not a CAD god after all are we!?) then why post on here? Why not try figure it out yourself to save you the hassle of wading through hundreds of 'pointless posts' taking you completely off the subject you raised when initially posting your problem (similar to what you seem to be doing right now funnily enough, does that make you a hypocrite?).

It seems you are one of those people that can try dish out the abuse but certainly can't recieve it back, for this I either suggest you:

a) Stop visiting this forum and go back to your hole.

OR

b) Stop being so narrow minded and realise that people are here for genuine reasons with genuine problems that genuine people answer with genuine solutions.

If you decide the latter, I anticipate a future post by yourself with regards to a problem you may have, and I shall sit smugly at my desk with the answer.

Over and out.

Roland Schwarz

I used Pro/E in an industrial design setting.  Yes, it's more powerful, and there are more than a few things I miss.  Then again, Pro/E is only a shadow of UG/NX.

I quit crying a long time ago (but I do still prod SW for more PRo/E and UG features).  The best course is to rise above, be a monster in geometry and design and model organization, and make every CAD application your B!+ch.

Tim Dougherty

Well .... at least you didn't get stuck with Inventor for a few years like I did !

At a previous position we had ProE, Wildfire, Inventor and Solidworks. Most of us defaulted to Solidworks when there wasn't a client requirement to use the other software.

Steve Grossman

you don't know what you're talking about. if you like pro better, fine, buy it,but don't trash solidworks while ignoring pro's problems over the years.

(i've used pro since 1993 and solidworks since 2001, with over 25,000 total CAD hours.)

i've had good and bad experiences with surfacing and with stability in both programs. pro has also suffered a runaway memory use similar to the current "file growth" in solidworks 2011.

pro has a couple of very useful advantages over solidworks in that it allows copying more types of features than solidworks and allows this copying part-to-part instead of only in an assembly.

other than that, it s*cks compared to solidworks primarily because ptc is still wedded to 100% fully dimensioned and fully referenced everything. whereas a lost reference in soldworks will be treated as something undimensioned, a lost reference (or dimension) in pro causes a complete failure to regenerate. it may not even give a hint of what's missing.

flyboy 2160

brocade gainz

Referencing everything is what you want if you know how to model!

Wow, some people I guess just love wasting time.

I am not bashing Solidworks I just wanted to know others opinions.

Yes I agree solidworks is simpliar to use, but when the wright brothers first plane did not take off did they walk because it was easier.

I don't know about you but I live for challenges.

Paul Wyndham

Personally I prefer Pro/E over SW. I just like some of the ways Pro/E is setup better. Like how in an assembly Pro/E has the assembly constraints attached to the part instead of a huge mates section where you cannot find what you are looking for.

I do think it is a big mistake to allow parts of your model to be unconstrained. I know there are some situations where fully constrained is not necessary, but that can allow the model to change by accident. In WF5 PTC has completely gone away from Resolve mode, and with the use of Reference viewer it is very easy to find the problem. In resolve mode it was hard because you got stuck redefining the part that failed not the one that caused the failure. That is all fixed now.

It does not matter if you don't use all the functionality that Pro/E has. If there is a time you need to do something it is nice to be able to do it that once, instead of having to find a work around or make your part different. SolidWorks does not get all that functionality because CATIA is Dassault's highend product.

This topic is too subjective and is extremely hard to talk about with out causing aurguements.

brocade gainz

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE!

ITS OBVIOUS YOU HAVE WORKED ON BOTH SOFTWARES. THANK YOU, I KNOW I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE.

Mark Larson

"Personally I prefer Pro/E over SW. I just like some of the ways Pro/E is  setup better. Like how in an assembly Pro/E has the assembly  constraints attached to the part instead of a huge mates section where  you cannot find what you are looking for."

with all due respect, you appear to me to not be very familiar with SW, perhaps a nOObie?

SW does in fact attach assembly constraints with the part, as well as in the large section you refer to.

An experienced SW user would click on the part in the assembly, this finds the part in the Feature Manager

next the experienced user would click the "+" sign next to the part in Feature Manager, expanding the tree

directly below the part are it's mate, just like you asked for

I strongly encourage you to take SW training, it is much more effective than learning on your own, especially for someone versed in another CAD software

Adrian Velazquez

Yeah, and not even that. You could just Right Click (On the Three or on the Model) select View Mates ........voila!!!!

Paul Wyndham

I am new to SolidWorks, I have had training. The trainer must have overlooked that part on mates or I was not paying attention when they talked about it. Either way you don't need to start insulting people that do not share your oppinion (the only reason I have heard people use the word noobie is to degrade). We can be more professional then that.

Thanks for the pointer on how to work with assemblies better.

I think it is funny that so many people talk about how you don't need training to use solidworks. Then, when you say you don't like it the first thing they say is you need training.

I never said I won't use SolidWorks, I was just saying, I prefer Pro/E and that this subject is one that is based on personal preference and has no absolute (in my oppinion). Even my thoughts about assemblies were wrong. Sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my purpose.

Paul Wyndham

Ok, so here is an assembly. I selected the part highlighted in blue. Then, I expanded the model tree for that part.

Why does it list all the mates that touch that part, instead of just the ones that constrain the single part? It is nice that the 3 I want are at the top of the list. I tried right click and view mates with the same long list.

mates.jpg

Here is what it looks like in Pro/E, just for reference.

inproe.JPG

Thanks for your help figuring this out.

Edit: It is nice that in SolidWorks you can right click on the specific mate and edit it. Where in Pro/E you have to redefine the whole part which takes more time. I just don't like how solidworks displays the list more then I prefer the right click edit.

Christopher Thompson

If you are interested in how SolidWorks compares to Pro/Engineer in surface modeling, then refer to these links:

I would like to see SolidWorks add conics (w/ rho value) and improve its spline-on-surface tool to be as robust as Pro-E's curve-on-surface (COS). Please note that the COS feature requires an extra Pro-E module (add-in). Also, adding a Variable Section Sweep (VSS) or similar tool in SolidWorks would be very benefical in surface modeling as well.

On the plus side, SolidWorks has some surfacing features that Pro-E is lacking such as the fill surface, the indent feature, and a few others. Overall, whatever I can model in Pro-E I can usually model in SolidWorks, although it may occasionally require some work arounds.

One thing that I really appreciate in SolidWorks is the solid and surface body folders, and the house-keeping tools such as delete body. Of course, the real question is how will SolidWorks compare to Creo (see here) once it is released.

Rick McWilliams

Curves projected on curves or surfaces is weak in Solidworks. Intersecting curves do not quite intersect. I would like to see a way to project any sketch onto a surface. The resulting shapes should allow trimming, and relations. Sketching on a surface would be diffferent, probably not all that useful.

I have an airplane fuselage with a hatch. The outline of the hatch is projected onto the surface. A guide curve is projected onto the surface. Then a swept shape follows that outline and is oriented by the guide curve. This give s a very nice geometry. It also generates a horribly large and slow to load model.

Does Pro engineer do this type of feature efficiently?

Mikael Martinsson

My two cents.

SW is a good cad tool, no questions about it. No other program can compare when it comes to functionality vs. user friendliness interface. I, as an advanced user, can do my high pressure die casting tool designs (working now on a 40 ton tool with several side cores and difficult parting lines), and in the same time, our "seldom-users" can do analysis, simple fixtures e.tc.  This, together with pricing, is why I decided for SW over other cad programs 2001. But of course there are a compromise between functionality and user friendliness, no questions about that either.

In my opinion, the main problem with SW is the performance. If I work with the same, big-size imported model, in SW and in ProE, on the same hardware, SW fails. If I compare file sizes of the hard drive, the same problem occurs again. Perhaps SW should ease up a bit on applying customer driven functions and start working with raw core and graphic performance so I don't have to look at the hour glass so much?

The best way would of course be if SW could skip the Parasolid kernel and move over to the one that Catia is using. They should also allow Catia and SW to share file format so I could work with feature driven design on Catia files in SW. Of course this will never happen. Dassault see SW as a necessary evil instead of a good way to compete on the important mid-range cad arena.

Scott Baugh

I work for Berry Plastics one of the biggest Plastics manufactures in the world. Berry used to be a Pro-E house, now its a SW house. We still have some Pro-E users around the company. I have had some discussions about Pro-E and SW and there were some lacking areas, but none of them seem to have your attitude towards SW like yours obvisously is. Most of those users are now using SW more often and more efficently, because most of their issues were simple training issues.

Berry not only does Product Design, but we also have design center for R&D designs and we Mfg our own Molds and Automation Equipment, all these departments use SW and I can guarantee you that they do have questions but 90% of the time its a OE error, not a SW error.

It sounds to me like you were forced into using the software and for that you are bitter and taking your frustration out on the rest of SW guru's... in the end your choice of software is your own, no one here is going to convince you otherwise. Thats like you forcing me to use AutoCAD Inventor I would freaking hate it and fight it tooth and nail to end... kind of like what your doing. You need to try and have an open mind about things... SW may not be Pro-E and personally I am glad its not, but its just part of a different way of thinking, unfortunately its not your way. Sorry to see you having to make a change, totally sucks I agree, but having an open mind about this will make it far easier.

Good luck with SW... and there is alot of talent out here if you take a step back relax and ask a question with a pleasant tone. you will get a better response.

Scott

Jeff Hamilton

We build compressors and use some plastics, but not that much. We also use surfacing to a degree. I've found that there are strong and weak points to both softwares. I've used both ProE and Solidworks. This was a proE house, but switched to Solidworks about three years ago. Most people have adapted quite well, but there are a couple who will always prefer ProE. It's just what they were used to for several years. So there will always be complaints. Some justified, some not. In most cases I've found that Solidworks will do the same as ProE, just differently, and that's what takes gettng used to. Some people are just more vocal about it than others.

Overall I've found Solidworks much more user friendly and easier to adapt to. (Simple, maybe. But if it gets the job done simpler, then that's a plus.) Tech support is especially much more user friendly than what I had experienced with ProE. But that is probably a reflection on my VAR.

In a few cases I've found that there are somethings that ProE can do that Solidworks can't  - directly, in a similar fashion. But I've found a number of cases where someone thought that Solidworks couldn't do something, but it actually could. It just did it differently. It's an ongoing battle I face every week.

Alin Vargatu

Brocade, what is a map key? A macro assigned to a key?

Scott Baugh

ROFL... ok whatever... you just keep thinking that my friend. Thanks for making me smile, I needed a good laugh today... ROFL!!!

Greg Hynd

you very funny man!

you got a hangover?

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                                                                              Alin Vargatu

The one guy above asks what a mapkey is.........thats like asking a options trader what a strike price is?

brocade, I am that guy. What is a strike price?

Also are you talking about Creo? As far as I know Pro-Engineer is no more.

Scott Baugh

Reason your post was removed is because you are acting like a jackhole... I think you need to chill out and take a pill, maybe a few of them.

95% of the Pro-E users I deal with enjoy SW, they have few compliants where Pro-E might have done something a little better, but none-the-less they all enjoy it far better than Pro-E.... sounds to me like you have been forced to make a change so you want to lash out at all of us. If you love Pro-E that much, then why don't you stay with your follow Pro-E users and leave us alone!

John Burrill

Yeah, man, not only are you insulting the software and the users, you're also insulting your employer.  That can't possibly help you.  I know a lot of Pro-E users, including my current boss and while every one of them can cite things in Pro-E that they like better, nothing they say substantiates your polemic.

Doug Seibel

I've used Pro-E for a decade, and Solidworks for a decade...several of those years I had to use both.  Where I work, I can use either system since we have both at our disposal...and I use Solidworks exclusively.  No system is perfect, and I often say that I "bless and curse both with equal passion".  But day in and day out, I'm able to get my work done quicker in Solidworks. 

Learn or burn brocade gainz...

(of course, we all already know that all you want to do is burn...)

Mark Biasotti

hum... Interesting alignment of planets here:

• I worked for Atari from 1981 to 1984
                                                                                      • I still use legos all the time (as well as tinkertoys) to prototype stuff that is well... just not fast and intuitive in CAD
                                                                                      • I used ProE Version 16 thru Wildfire1 doing advanced modeling and surfacing

Regards

Mark

Mikael Martinsson

Ok Mr Gainz. I will carefully write down all your wise words on a post-it and then flush it down a toilet, because that is how much I care about your opinion. Your original thread is marked "not answered" and is 1,5 years old, so I don't think that you'll ever get the answer that your looking for. If you can't convince your employer that they should switch to Creo and you can't live with SW, find another job.

Roland Schwarz

soooo...

Overcoming shortcomings with skill and technique is not an option?  Nor is adapting to your environment?

Greg Hynd

THis post is mainly for the attention of Brocade, who is struggling with change. If anyone else has time they could look it up too, it is a very helpful video.

Google " Who moved my cheese" and try find the video to watch.