4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 10:09 AM by Chris Kamery

Complete newbi

Tim Mahoney

Hello, I am trying to get some direction how to proceed. I have been talking to a friend who has a Faro arm that uses SolidWorks software. We have been discussing my employment with the intention of my learning how to operate the the equipment. This is very early in our discussions and my questions are regarding training. I am a machinist without an engineering degree but have been using AutoCAD 14  for years in our repair facility making simple 2D drawings. I have always wanted to learn SolidWorks and look at this as a great opportunity. I am looking for recommendations on what kind of training, on line or class room that I should pursue. I will be located NE of Atlanta near Cumming GA.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

• Re: Complete newbi
          Scott McFadden

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.  You came to the right place.

There are a few ways you could go.  These are 2 online training websites you can

check out.

http://www.myigetit.com/

http://www.solidprofessor.com/landing.asp?ad=solidprofessor&gclid=CJLe-czkvacCFYnd4AodGTGB_A

Another method is if you can have access to your friends computer and get onto Solidworks

they have good tutorials within the session of solidworks or here is another site.

http://www.solidworkstutorials.com/

And if this isn't enough, there are a lot of tutorials on youtube.

Tim Mahoney

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I think I will start with the you tube videos to get my feet wet and maybe look for an evening class in the Atlanta area. I can probably get my future boss to pay for the other on-line training. Will my experience with AutoCAD 14 be any benefit or is SolidWorks completely different? I have some experience with boolean operations but it has been many years.

Chris Kamery

This biggest obstacle I have seen for people making the transition is that with SolidWorks, everything is in 3 Dimensions, not 2. Once you get your mind around that and thinking in all 3 dimensions at the same time, things will begin to fall in place. Some 2D guys pick it up faster than others.

Beyond watching videos and classes, the most beneficial thing is seat time. Getting in front of a system, trying things, messing up, working through problems is in my opinion, the best way to learn. As you feel comfortable with the tools and how things work, try to make harder and harder things. Try tools you haven't used before, mess things up, figure out how to fix it, etc.

Good luck to you and feel free to ask us any questions you have.

Chris

Scott McFadden

Good I am glad this was useful.

Good Luck.